The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support Morrison Fabrications
Please Support STM Tuned

crank moved counter clockwise

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BAKA92

Probationary Member
Nov 11, 2004
kailua, Hawaii
when i was breaking the torqe on the crank pulley bolts i lost grip on the crank bolt, so it moved counter clockwise. after that i rotated the motor to line the marks up, and at a certin point when i would stop it would move counter clockwise alittle by its self. all i was trying to do was change the crank pully. are my valves screwed up or is this normal. i dont want to start the motor and mess the head up.

I think its ok if the timing belt is still on, but don't quote me on it. I think mine moved a little bit when we were trying to install my flywheel, and my car runs fine.

BAKA92 said:
are my valves screwed up or is this normal. i dont want to start the motor and mess the head up.
You should be ok as long as the timing belt stayed on. It's far easier to rotate the crank pulley with the plugs out (and it won't move) in order to check the belt and marks and see if you clear the valves.

yea, the timing belt was still on, the lower cover too. i did have the spark plugs in. that would make the crank move counter clock after turning, it by its self?

The compression can sometimes. Also the timing belt gets a little tighter in some spots than others which will move it slightly. This is all normal. You should check the timing belt auto tensioner for proper adjustment if you can get at it since you have covers off (you'll have to remove the lower cover to do it).
Adjustment: http://www.dsmtuners.com/forums/showthread.php?t=214625

change tensioner ... yea, its probably due.

I got the car in 2003 and the previous owner said that he had changed the timing belt but I
don't know if that included changed timing pulleys, tensioner, etc.

Curious if in the meantime, can I just change out the crank pulley so I can drive to work (about 1 mile each way).. would it be harmful to the head? (Need time to save up for the timing compenents, etc.)

Also, do you think my compression is still good because it moved back on its own?

Thanks,

Brian

The crank pulley (harmonic balancer) has nothing to do with the head or timing belt. If the engine ran ok before you tryed to change the crank pulley and that's all you did (didn't remove/adjust timing belt, etc), you should be ok with just a new crank pulley until you can do the other stuff.

i changed the pully, it started fine. its not making noise any more. thanks for the replys.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back