The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support Morrison Fabrications
Please Support ExtremePSI

cracked transmission

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jeffreyinigo

15+ Year Contributor
Oct 6, 2004
Tucson, Arizona
hey guys my transmission cracked. again. this is the second tranny that i have cracked. i dont even drive hard at all, what ccould cause this to happen???????:notgood:

Where is it cracked? If it's cracked by the far passenger side there is a nut inside your tranny there. And sometimes they come loose and come off, flinging it around will crack your tranny. This happened to one of the cars I had and happened to a friend of mine's 3000GT (same style of tranny)

BUN

well its weird. it is cracked somewhat in the middle. but two trannies??? why?? the other one cracked close to the block where the slave cylinder is

I had a thread here about my cracked tranny and in my situation it was because of a broken ear on the block. Check them thoroughly.

yeah we saw that the ear is broken on the block. is it safe to get it welded with the block inside the car? i just want to get a professional to do it for me. I am also swapping out the bellhousings because mine also cracked there. i went to a professional and he is gonna do it for me for 150. please pray for me that i get this car fixed. AAHAHAH. I am hating this car. :notgood:

jeffreyinigo said:
yeah we saw that the ear is broken on the block. is it safe to get it welded with the block inside the car? i just want to get a professional to do it for me. I am also swapping out the bellhousings because mine also cracked there. i went to a professional and he is gonna do it for me for 150. please pray for me that i get this car fixed. AAHAHAH. I am hating this car. :notgood:

I have heard of a few people welding it back on. Some say its holding well, some dont trust it. Depends on how good the person welding it is I guess. I assume its alright to weld it with the block in the car as long as you do it properly and take the tranny off while you do it.

I think you're asking for trouble trying to weld the ear back on with the motor in the car. Just doesn't sound like the safest practice. Whatever you do, be careful.

Greg Heineken

Do you have both dowel pins in four the bellhousing?? How many bolts you have holding it on? You should have 4 total. Most of the problems come from not using all the bolts. The one that goes the engine side first gets forgotten alot and is were the problem occurs.

i also had a problem with my bellhousing craking, forgot the 2 dowels, i didnt know that they were missing untill i took it apart. cracked the whole top side and some how my clutch exsploded in side, so much for just putting in a fresh rebuilt tranny and act clutch. ill never forget those dowels again.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back