The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support ExtremePSI
Please Support STM Tuned

CP-Carillo pistons, or Wiseco

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Cameron Morison

5+ Year Contributor
Nov 12, 2018
Christchurch, New_Zealand
Yes, I've searched but cannot find too much

I'm rebuilding a 85.5mm 8.5:1 100mm stroker, with 150m rods and 22mm pins.

I was looking at piston options. Its got JE in it now (202192) but unfortunately rings for them are NLA as its an old piston and they run thinner rings on everything now. CP do a suitable drop in replacement which is the SC7253, or alternatively Wiseco do one too, K596M85

The build makes about 750nm torque, just over 500whp, and runs on e60 fuel. Its purely a competition vehicle. I haven't heard much about the CP pistons, it seems a few people are using Wiseco. CP are generally regarded as a good brand though too and I do know of a local rally car that has run them for years.

Can anyone with experience comment on this?

CP - Carrillo are a top teir company. While alot have their own history in different series of racing it always comes down to budget and quality of the item. Alot use wiseco but because they are normally always available. Some dont like them and some do. Cp have an outstanding reputation so alot go to them but their stuff tends to cost more overall

The other option I've come across is Nitto, they are manufactured by CP-Carillo but are meant to be a step above the normal off the shelf CP.

I believe the CP are all full skirt too, which I think will be a good thing. My existing JE pistons are full skirt, and haven't worn over about 15 years of racing. A friend with wiseco stroker pistons has had them crack around the pin several times. Not to the point of failing but meant they couldn't be reused. I believe they have a new design since those cracks though.

These are the nitto, they are about $300 USD more expensive than the CP though!

The only thing that slightly worries me is you're saying "drop in pistons".

JE's usually have to run higher piston to wall clearance which may be loose with a piston that has lesser expansion rates.

You may want to measure your bore before jumping on anything.

The only thing that slightly worries me is you're saying "drop in pistons".

JE's usually have to run higher piston to wall clearance which may be loose with a piston that has lesser expansion rates.

You may want to measure your bore before jumping on anything.

Sorry by drop in I didn't mean literally. The block will be bored to 85.5mm to suit. It's a fresh stock bore block as the old one cracked a bore.

By drop in, I was meaning an off the shelf part rather than custom order.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back