The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support RTM Racing
Please Support STM Tuned

Covidia

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This daily driver has made it's maiden voyage successfully. It's throwing a CEL likely due to an 02 sensor, and/or emissions delete. This shell is a TSi AWD but the block originally came from a N/A FWD. I'm actually not sure if I have a ECU from a turbo car or non, but it is stock so I can't get readings without pulling the code from a led test light, but it has a hiccup that leads me to believe an 02 sensor may be bad.

But she fires right up every time on the slightest crank. Perfect for DDing

Update:
Replaced the O2 sensor... Cel remains but hiccup is gone. Now I'm curious what is causing it, but my money's is on something emissions related.

I'm going to need to fix the stereo in this sooner than later.

Ok, so I decided I wanted to eliminate these CEL issues today so I took out the test light.

It threw 3 codes at me, probably would have been four if I didn't fix the o2 sensor.

12 -
13 -
25 -

After a bit of research I found it was IAT, Baro, and MAP, which all plug into the MAF.

I have a stock MAF but a PO cut the harness and spliced in connections for a GM Map sensor and an IAT sensor.

I unplugged the battery and put it back to stock.

No more CEL and the test light is blinking steady.

Fires right up and purrs.

I started fiddling around with the stereo. Pulled off the door panel to find some aftermarket sony speakers and the wires were very well soldered so I left it alone and went to the wiring behind the unit. It hasnt been cut at all. With the radio installed, not all speakers would work. I reached behind center console above the ECU and pulling on them would fix it. I decided to take some zip ties and apply constant pressure.

I took it for a drive and it did not come ajar, but I think my stock head unit might be failing or the amp went out. The sound levels are very low.

While driving I also noticed that she developed a very minor idle surge only while the car was rolling. It would even out at a stop. I turned the BIS screw in several turns and managed to get the car to idle at 900 rpms stationary. While rolling it idles at 1000 without any surge.

I might try replacing the stock head unit next

The radio seems to have corrected itself so that is good news. Today I fixed the bad cv joint by replacing the axle altogether and changed the oil while I was at it. The shift base is pretty wobbly so that might be next on the list.

On a side note, someone was kicking the tires about buying her already . She looks great from a distance.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back