The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support Fuel Injector Clinic
Please Support STM Tuned

Couple of weird AUTO trans issues, and a at to mt question.

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Timothyj94

10+ Year Contributor
Jun 6, 2011
Glen ellyn, Illinois
First off, I have a 1995 GS with the auto a604 transmission. It kept going it to limp mode(more often when the car was hot). Satan wanted 70+ to check the computer, computer was 30$ at the junkyard. I swapped the computers limp mode went away. It did kinda slam when I would go into drive (on the new computer tcu). Then it started doing limp mode again after 500+ miles. Less often though. So me being stupid, I floor it in reverse one day, and then all of a sudden the next time I go to reverse and I got no power. If Im on a level surface the car will back up very slowly(faster than nuetral will) but the gas pedal just revs like its in nuetral.

Any ideas? Fluid is deffinately good.

Also killing two birds with one stone, an Auto to Manual question.
I found a 1996 parts car, I have a 1995. Would EVERYTHING be interchangable to make mine Manual? What changes across years? :thumb:

Only reason I would fix the auto is because I have two people who want to buy my car for 2800$ (one was going to this weekend until I broke it :banghead: ), without my turbo set up. Otherwise if its too expensive I got a parts car for 400 with my name on it. A guy I know quoted me 450 on a full rebuild on the auto, and I know a kit is around 200$ (If I pull it and bring it to them). So a cheap easy fix would be awesome.

I could also fix it myself, I dont necesarrily need to go to a shop.

When doing the swap, make sure to check the ECU. The 95 has a 60 pin ECU, while the 96 most likely has the 80 pin variation. That would be the only thing holding you back.

The trans bolts to the block without problems, and make sure to get the motor and trans mounts for the manual from the donor car.

The vehicle speed sensor gave me issues. Make sure to rewire properly and get a speedo. I had to use my tach for vehicle speed. You get good at knowing how fast you're going by watching traffic. ;)

Do not lose the plastic ball stud connected to the clutch fork. Its expensive for a quarter sized piece of plastic and only available from the dealer. (I know first hand)

You will have to use a hole saw to cut the spot for the clutch master cylinder. You will notice a plate that's been tacked into the spot where it fits. Sometimes you can peel that plate off, but I had to cut mine.

http://www.2gnt.com/index.php?d=ATMT

This link saved me. Read it.

You'll thank me later.

When doing the swap, make sure to check the ECU. The 95 has a 60 pin ECU, while the 96 most likely has the 80 pin variation. That would be the only thing holding you back.

The trans bolts to the block without problems, and make sure to get the motor and trans mounts for the manual from the donor car.

The vehicle speed sensor gave me issues. Make sure to rewire properly and get a speedo. I had to use my tach for vehicle speed. You get good at knowing how fast you're going by watching traffic. ;)

Do not lose the plastic ball stud connected to the clutch fork. Its expensive for a quarter sized piece of plastic and only available from the dealer. (I know first hand)

You will have to use a hole saw to cut the spot for the clutch master cylinder. You will notice a plate that's been tacked into the spot where it fits. Sometimes you can peel that plate off, but I had to cut mine.

2GNT.com - ATMT

This link saved me. Read it.

You'll thank me later.

So the only difference is the ECU between the years? Sweet. Also I have one last question if anyone can answer? What cars can I take the a604 out of directly, for a non-turbo 1995 GS? :aha:

another auto N/A 2nd gen DSM. So the eclipse & talons. May be another but I never looked into it.

Possibly a dodge avenger, but I'd want someone to double check this.

So the only difference is the ECU between the years? Sweet. Also I have one last question if anyone can answer? What cars can I take the a604 out of directly, for a non-turbo 1995 GS? :aha:

Yes. Like I said, 95's = 60 pin ECU
96+ = 80 pin.

If you google "A604" there is a ton of info related to it. 95+ it came in quite a few different vehicles. Dodge caravan, avenger, stratus, (2gnt's) and the neon in 2003. Not all A604's are the same. Do some more digging to find the one you need.

Hope it helps

If it's a 95, then you can only use the 95-96 A604 from the 95-96 Eclipse, Talon, Avenger, and Sebring with the 420A motor. The 95-96 used a different style connector then the 97+ A604's.

If it's a 95, then you can only use the 95-96 A604 from the 95-96 Eclipse, Talon, Avenger, and Sebring with the 420A motor. The 95-96 used a different style connector then the 97+ A604's.

Are you sure it has to be 95-96? Cant I just swap the sensors off of my old transmission? :confused::confused:

Also is there a way to check if the trans is any good at the junkyard? Not familiar with autos, especially these. So if there's an easy way to check if it works that would be awesome. :aha:

I don't think you can swap them. If I'm not mistaken, there's some sort of temperature sensor in the 95-96 sensor that isn't in the 97+. I may be wrong though. Here, read this thread from Aseclub. This outlines everything you would need to know about the different A604's.

how to: 96-+ atx in 95 cars i4 or v6 - ASEClub

I don't think you can swap them. If I'm not mistaken, there's some sort of temperature sensor in the 95-96 sensor that isn't in the 97+. I may be wrong though. Here, read this thread from Aseclub. This outlines everything you would need to know about the different A604's.

how to: 96-+ atx in 95 cars i4 or v6 - ASEClub

So, if I wanted to use a 99 Stratus a604, I couldnt? Or is there a way to make it work??

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back