The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support STM Tuned
Please Support ExtremePSI

Counterfeit Holset Turbos

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Found this hx40 in an ad on the web for a good deal. I have read through an old thread on counterfeit holsets, watched a video, and read other things on how to spot them. It looks genuine to me, the sticker on the ID plate, and the ID plate itself look genuine. Can't see them great though. In the thread about counterfeit ones there was a fake hx with NX on the compressor housing like the one here so i thought i would ask. Thank you before hand for any insight and knowledge i may learn.

You must be logged in to view this image or video.

Real? Im supposed to pick it up in a few days.

5N75F65Jd3nc3Ka3J7ca1b9afe275cf2f15df by thamarshan, on Flickr

5N55E95Fe3I83J53Nbca10845d73ac30a178e by thamarshan, on Flickr

5Kc5F95Mc3M33N53H6ca11eb667ed40f81c12 by thamarshan, on Flickr

5Ic5N75Ef3Kd3Gc3F8ca13cb02ab7a9121b59 by thamarshan, on Flickr

I bought the Turbo & it's a 52mm inducer. I have not seen a Holset with a wheel like this one. Is this a standard wheel?

Holset by thamarshan, on Flickr

Please let me know if this is a real holset. I have a feeling I got completely ripped off. There is no holset tag, expect for some stupid little sticker.

Last edited by a moderator:
Thats the best worst news I have heard. At least its not a fake, at the same time it's not what I wanted. The item was listed as an hx35, and had an hy35 pictured in the ad. So much hassle to have to go through. Thanks for your quick reply. Now to return it and get the hx35 that I wanted, and ordered.

I thought I'd throw this up, I'm looking into this turbo, the seller wants $275 shipped, and it looks different than other hx35's I've seen, with the unpainted very clean compressor cover, it looks alot more like the knockoff holsets i've seen on ebay. Can anyone clarify as to whether this is genuine or not, and whether its worth the money they want?
thanks

That is my old HX35 :( Had to sell due to life!

I went and looked at an hx35 today. Guy is asking 400 for it. I have done a lot of research so I knew what to look for. The exhaust housing said holstet. But the compressor housing says turboch and holset nowhere. The tag is also all silver with no blue. Is it fake?

I didn't manage to get any pictures. But googling hx35 turboch or anything close to that has no results. He said its the stock compressor housing so it is throwing me off. I have found nothing on turboch. So unless somebody can prove it is genuine I will pass on it.

Turboch is probably the start of the casting "Turbocharger"
Just a guess.

Thats cheeeap^^
If that's true, then I've missed a lot as I haven't bought a HX35 core for quite a while. In 2007-2008 that same turbo could be had for $150-$175. That's what made using a Holset so appealing initially- you'd scoop up a sub-$200 turbo, drop it into a $250 turbine housing, and for under $500 you had a DSM bolt-on turbo capable of more than a 16G could ever give you while being ten times more reliable than a 50-trim Garrett.

In that case, fake?
How about posting some pics? I can't believe this has gone as far as it has without a single pic.

I have one for you- I'm holding a $100 bill in my hand. Says "One Hundred Dolla" on the back of it. Is it a real bill torn in half, or is it a fake?

:confused:

looking to buy this holset hx35w real? fake?

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back