The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support ExtremePSI
Please Support STM Tuned

Could use some help!!

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mike1ls

Probationary Member
Jan 6, 2013
Fremont, Nebraska
Hey im kind of new to DSM's and I ended up buying a 91 talon tsi. It looked like a solid car when I bought it, and I had a friend of mine come with me when I looked at it and he is a big DSM guy and he said it was a decent car that was worth buying. well... i started having problems with the car. I knew that when I bought it the tune needed work. It also had jumped timing at some point (before I bought it). Then one day after I drove it the night before (was running ok that night) it wouldnt even turn over and battery had full charge.
So then me and my friend (the DSM guy) decided to pull the engine with the intent of just putting new seals all the way aroung and fixing the timing. well, as all projects do, it turned out being WAY more than I was expecting... So far we found out the 20g that was on it was garbage, the head was screwed, needs all new seals, tranny needed to be rebuilt, and the block needs to be bored out, needed to fix the tune, and many other small things.... So far we have rebuilt a different head, got a rebuilt 16g, got the tranny professionally rebuilt, got seals, got ecm link v3 lite.
Im now in the process of aranging to get the block bored out .20 over and purchacing bearings and new pistions and rings. The main problem that I am running into it that I have a kind of limited knowledge of DSM's and very little experience rebuilding motors. My friend has be helping me out alot and has been walking me threw most of the hard parts. He is now leaving to go to school and wont be able to help me out. I need to get this car finished within the next three weeks and I wont be able to finish it on my own... I need somebody with the know how to come help me out with this project so I can get it done soon. I am also VERY limited on funds and honestly wont be able to pay you for your help very much. I am willing to try and work something out with somebody that is willing to come help me. I am wanting to learn more about this and thats why I got into the project. Im also not looking for somebody to do all the work for me and I will do as much as I can.

ANY HELP WOULD BE APPRECIATED!!!

My number is 402-720-9623, you can call or text me anytime if you are interested in helping.

Thanks for taking the time to look!!!

Mike,

This is a tough spot to be in, I really hope you can find some well expierienced DSM'ers in the area. That is alot of work that needs to be done, the engine assembly is critical. There are alot of measurments that need to be done correctly as well as selecting the correct bearing sizes for engine as well the piston clearances and ring gap.

There is alot of information out there on how to do this but in a time crunch and with no expierience having the machine shop perform the assembly can save you alot of heartache.

At minimum you can install the rebuilt engine and transmission with the 16g and just utilize the stock injectors and ecu until you can save up enough to have it professionally tuned, or a very expierienced DSM'er help you with that, and stay out of boost until then.

Sorry I am not able to help. One thing that discourages alot of people is building their first engine and slapping pistons, rods, and bearings in and then spinning a bearing because the aformentioned clearances were not correct. I hope all goes well bro. :thumb:

Mike,

This is a tough spot to be in, I really hope you can find some well expierienced DSM'ers in the area. That is alot of work that needs to be done, the engine assembly is critical. There are alot of measurments that need to be done correctly as well as selecting the correct bearing sizes for engine as well the piston clearances and ring gap.

There is alot of information out there on how to do this but in a time crunch and with no expierience having the machine shop perform the assembly can save you alot of heartache.

At minimum you can install the rebuilt engine and transmission with the 16g and just utilize the stock injectors and ecu until you can save up enough to have it professionally tuned, or a very expierienced DSM'er help you with that, and stay out of boost until then.

Sorry I am not able to help. One thing that discourages alot of people is building their first engine and slapping pistons, rods, and bearings in and then spinning a bearing because the aformentioned clearances were not correct. I hope all goes well bro. :thumb:

Thanks for the suggestions man! Ive been going back and forth with the idea of having the machine shop assemble the short block. The only thing that is stopping me is the extra amount they will charge me. I know a few different guys that own or work at good shops and I have talked with a few of them and it sounds like a few of them would be willing to help.

BTW I forgot to mention I have RC 550cc injectors. So if I dropped in the rebuilt motor and tranny, will the ecu without touching anything be able to run and drive as long as I stay out of boost until I get it tuned?

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back