The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support STM Tuned
Please Support ExtremePSI

Cordless Impact Wrenches

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

PieEyedPiper

DSM Wiseman
Nov 13, 2004
North Bay Area, California
http://www.carmechanicsmag.co.uk/cgi-bin/product_tests.cgi?t=0401

http://www.popularmechanics.com/home_journal/tools/1274386.html

http://www.agriculture.com/ag/story...debyside-0501impactwrenches.xml&catref=ag4010

Heres some links for you guys to check out, just some basic info/reviews about the tools.
Does anyone have experience with these? My mechanic has one and I keep forgetitng to borrow it!

The idea just seems fantastic to me. I can't imagine how much faster it would be to swap turbos or even just take my wheels off with this thing.
But is the torque adjustable? Can I set it to xx ft/lbs for my lugs and my turbo to manifold botls?

Air what? :p

I've been contemplating picking up an air compressor and impact gun attachment.

The cordless seems like a nice idea as well, probably cheaper, and for those who don't have the space for a big compressor.

My main concern is how it compares with the traditional compressor/impact gun combo. Will it have as much power?

EDIT: I just read those links, and it seems like they do compare to the traditional air gun, BUT they seem to be about the same price, if not MORE. In which case the air compressor/gun combo would still be my choice because of the other uses that will be possible.

These cordless guns will definitely be an "impact" if they become significantly cheaper than an air compressor/impact gun. But for now due to the prices, it would be found most handy for bringing around in the car for some strange reason.

I use the 3/8 cordless dewalt at work every day and has to be the best tool I own.

I love them... Very handy, even the impact drill I have works great for everything. I used it to put a roof on a garage about a month ago and there were places where I could only reach with one hand and putting a 3" screw in with a drill would have been near impossible, the impact drill makes it very easy, barely needs any force, just enough to hold it to the screw.

I have a 1/2 18 volt dewalt cordless impact wrench, and I use it all the time. I have tried it on lug nuts, not so good. you will still need to break them loose, and snug them up when your done. Battery life is decent, it definitely has the strength to tighten things down, but not enough when it gets to larger bolts. Put in a bit, and you can drive lag bolts and screws all day into anything without a problem.

Price, bought it in a kit with a cordless angle grinder and 5 other lifesaving tools for about 600.00. So about 100 each.

Drawback, like any impact tool if your not careful you will spend more time extracting broken studs than nuts, bolts, and screws.

An air gun is still better, but if you out in the middle of know where, or your tired of lugging around an airhose, these work great. Just have another set of tools to snug things up if you need too.

I have a cheap Chicago Electric cordless impact from Harbor Freight. I basically just use it for removing lug nuts. They don't zip off instantaneously, but it works. Just put the end on the nut, squeeze the trigger, and about 5-10 seconds later it spins right off. There's nothing to adjust on it, just a trigger and switch for forward/reverse.

I just bought a 3/8" rechargable electric impact gun and its great. I dont even use my air impact anymore. Mine is a blue-point (snap-on) and I got it on sale for $230. It seems like a lot but its so worth it. 2 batterys, a charger and a carrying case. Without a doubt the best tool I own. Its just as, if not stronger than my air impact.

The advantages to air tools are smaller in size, and more power. They are less expensive.There are more tools available.Air tools are a fraction of the price than the same electric tools. If you plan on buying a number of power tools I would buy a small compressor with air tools. 3/8 ,1/2 impacts and air ratchets and die grinders need 3-5 C.F.M of air to operate. Air drills need 4-7 C.F.M to operate. Grinders need the most at 8-13 C.F.M of air to operate. What this means is buy an air compressor that produces the needed C.F.M at 90p.s.i.If not the tool will over come the compressor. You will have to wait for it.1/2 air impacts have a maximum torque of 1000lbs.

Electric 1/2 impacts have a maximum torque of 350lbs. The advantage of battery tools is no air hose.There are many manufactures for battery tools dewalt,ingersoll rand,makita,milwaukee,snap-on which I think is manufactured by sioux tools.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back