The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support ExtremePSI
Please Support STM Tuned

CopperCoat on a MLS or not?

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

1990TSIAWDTALON

Nov 14, 2013
Independence, Kansas
So I am wondering if any of you builders use CopperCoat on your MLS headgasket during your build or not. I am about to get to that stage of my build and running an HX40, anticipating up to 30lbs of boost, what would you recommend. I have a Cometic MLS but didn't know if I should use CopperCoat on it or not. Any suggestions and tips are welcome and thanks!

MLS gaskets do not use copper coatings for the simple fact they have a coating applied to them already. That and any imperfections that are present on either surfaces are only going to be removed by means of machining. There's no way around it.

We learned about this at the 2014 AETC conference before PRI. If you must hear it directly from someone at Cometic then give Mark Chollett a call at 440-354-0777 or email him at [email protected].

I use it on all my metal gaskets and have done several headgaskets, composite and mls with it. :) It really helps fill in all the imperfections in the metal and give you a better seal. So far havnt had any issues and will keep doing it.

I use it on all my metal gaskets and have done several headgaskets, composite and mls with it. :) It really helps fill in all the imperfections in the metal and give you a better seal. So far havnt had any issues and will keep doing it.

Clearly you didn't read my response. Is will in fact not fill in imperfections. If you must hear it directly from someone at Cometic then give Mark Chollett a call at 440-354-0777 or email him at [email protected].

The coating already on mls gaskets is damaged by the solvent in copper spray. They are designed to be installed dry, on a surface that meets the gasket makers specifications.

See, this man knows.

Learn the facts people. Doing it wrong and managing doesn't mean you're right.

I read your post and yes that's there opinion nothing against having one. If they don't recommend using it on there's then it's pretty clear answer. All I'm saying is the copper spray is made for metal gaskets and in my opinion works. He asked for our thoughts and thats what mine are. And why would you use the copper spray before you machined your stuff? That makes no sense and really has nothing to do with it. I spray my metal gaskets and even composite to get them to stick into place and have a little extra seal. Bottom line is it won't hurt anything! If there's already a "special coating" on the cometic mls then it should say that and let people know. I also know and have been a tech for 18years and like i said no issues using it at all!

Last edited:
Call cometic, or felpro and ask. They will tell you that the solvent in copper spray damages the coating on their gaskets. Does it mean they will fail, who knows? I tend to believe manufacturers when asking how to install their product. If you go to the cometic website, it states not to use any spray.

http://www.cometic.com/technical.aspx

Felpro states the same.

http://www.felpro-only.com/clean-dry/

I read your post and yes that's there opinion nothing against having one. If they don't recommend using it on there's then it's pretty clear answer. All I'm saying is the copper spray is made for metal gaskets and in my opinion works. He asked for our thoughts and thats what mine are. And why would you use the copper spray before you machined your stuff? That makes no sense and really has nothing to do with it. I spray my metal gaskets and even composite to get them to stick into place and have a little extra seal. Bottom line is it won't hurt anything! If there's already a "special coating" on the cometic mls then it should say that and let people know. I also know and have been a tech for 18years and like i said no issues using it at all!

I find it funny as well as asinine to say it is a manufacture's opinion to not use such sprays on their gaskets. I mean after all, what do they know about MLS gaskets?! They only make them (sarcasm). I'm going to ignore a lot of your response because it just hurts my head. I will however comment on your mention of using copper spray before machining. I do not know why someone would use such steps when trying to use a MLS head gasket.

The bottom line here is that if you want to use a product you follow the manufacture's guidelines. If you are unaware of said guidelines you contact that manufacture and find out what those guidelines are! When saying it would harm anything you are incorrect. The coating that is on the gaskets from the manufacture is there for a reason; to seal the gasket! Covering it with another coating will do what? Makes the gasket thicker as well as not allow the factory coating to do its job. Since the factory coating's job is to seal the gasket then guess what is likely to happen? The gasket will not seal the way it is intended.

Give Mark a call Mr. Expert IOCS!

Mark Chollett - Cometic Gaskets
440-354-0777

Hello I said if they say don't use it then it's pretty simple answer!! That doesn't explude all metal gaskets! And thicker LOL come on dude really LOL. Get over it and Calm down guy LOL

My bad, the IOCS is well versed in all things automotive. I mean, what's a .001 anyway? Let alone a .0001. Carry on, master.

Now I always use copper spray on every MLS gasket. Never had 1 come back. Since I started. Did a MLS at the mitsubishi dealership on a evo. Didn't spray it Fresh block fresh head kid wanted a cometric. 1 month later came back leaking coolant into #2 cylinder in my opinion cometric gaskets are shit and I refuse jobs that the customer wants one. Fel pro only. And for the normal street beater a composite gasket has been proven to around 500 hp. Good enough for me

Sprayed a Honda MLS gasket 4 years ago. Car came in the shop today for brakes 150,000 miles later head gasket still holding strong.

Glad y'all IOCS' are having good turn outs. Awesome deal for ya'. I never said I liked Cometic gaskets but the fact of the matter is the OP brought up the name and Mark just so happen to be at this past AETC Conference talking about EXACTLY this.

BTW its machinist, Dsmkauai. (;

Deck preparation really is key to a good sealing hg, so pay extra attention to the deck surfaces,make sure they are clean no oil or residue etc [both on the head and the block].

And really make sure that the shop you have do the machine work, actually has the proper machines to prep a head [and or block] for an mls head gasket to begin with, do some reading and researching on mls surface finishes, and then hunt for a machine shop that has the proper machining/ tools/services for your build.

Better watch who your talking smack to buddy! And What's a machinist dude? Do you have any clue what your talking about? Besides what some other guy said? Crazy you went to a conference wow you must know it all now LOL.

Again..ignoring parts of your response simply for lack of substance. If you have to ask what a machinist is I guess I can safely assume you don't know as much as you are trying to portray.. "A machinist is a person who uses machine tools to make or modify parts, primarily metal parts, a process known as machining. This is accomplished by using machine tools to cut away excess material much as a woodcarver cuts away excess wood to produce his work." - Wikipedia.

I know exactly what I am talking about. I have the training and I know the processes of machining...especially for an MLS gasket. This includes what RA to shoot for. I usually listen to manufacture's when they speak about their product. Especially at something such as the Advanced Engineering Technology Conference.. I guess I would know something in comparison to you. Considering you think adding a layer of copper coat wouldn't add thickness to a gasket makes it very obvious who think they know it all here.

Good luck making a decision OP. I hope you take what we've said with a grain of salt and make an attempt to contact Mark for some real, solid information/explanation of what to do and why. Have a good one!

Its all good fella's. I wanted some comments from those who have built with a MLS and I got what I asked for. Thanks to you all. Much appreciated!

Do Mitsubishi MLS head gaskets even have a coating? The first one I installed leaked but that's because the block wasn't decked. This time around I'm going for it again with a decked block and head. The Mitsu MLS doesn't look like it has a coating at all, you sure can't feel it if it does. The cometic and felpro MLS gaskets have a obvious coating.

Cometic user for very long time an and always spraying copper . Never head any problems . Car is dd @42 psi, at occasions 49 psi . It has been 4 years since last install and still no problem . So sparing copper is a personal choice .

I have seen both sprayed and non sprayed HG fail.

A blown head gasket is not the cause of an issue but the Result of an issue.

I tend to follow the manufactures directions.

Surface prep and an accurate torque wrench is key in getting a head gasket to seal properly.

Just run a composite and L19s and save yourself on machining and worrying about a perfect sealing surface. 35-40psi and 65-68lb/min on an HX40 with no issues. Ran my HX35 at 40psi and 58-60lb/min for 2 years on this HG.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back