The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support STM Tuned
Please Support Fuel Injector Clinic

2G Cooling system question

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

pressf1forhelp

5+ Year Contributor
Nov 24, 2017
Oceanside, California
Hey guys,

Since I'm in QT I decided to work on my car.

Car: 1997 Eclipse GST
Millage: 193,xxx

Here's the issue. I get a some white smoke out of the exhaust while idling for a couple of minutes. This will ONLY occur if the engine is at operating temperature. If I continue to drive the smoke seems to die down not to be seen again until I have to idle (long traffic light, heavy traffic jam ect.). I mainly make short trips with this car so I rarely see the issue pop up unless its rush hour. Driving to work I never see the issue show up due to the fact I drive 12ish miles round trip. I even took her on a long 80 mile round trip with no issues majority of the driving being done on the freeway keep in mind.

I hate to admit, but I recently just got my hands on a OBII reader and my CEL has been on for a while now due to a O2 sensor that I can't seem to get to budge out of its home. OBII reader in hand about a week ago I picked up a new code not knowing how long this code has persisted in the logs.

P0170: The bump O2 sensor. I know the code because I friend ran his reader on my car over a year ago. But because I didn't have to smog last year, I kinda didn't really wanna fuss with it. Currently working on it though.
P0125: Something to do with the ECT or thermostat. I replaced the ECT today and burped the system. The problem still persisted.

A lot of people keep on telling me its the HG. But I've seen and owned a car that had a blown gasket before and I just don't think it's the issue and here's why:

-No loss of power
-No miss fires due to coolant in engine
-No "white goo" on oil cap
-Temp gauge is always sitting just like a cm below the optimal operating temperature on the dash
-No issues of starting the car. She turns over right away and purrs happily
-No little bubbles or boiling over from under the rad cap
-As stated in the post, the car isn't ALWAYS letting out this white smoke, only under certain circumstances

I have done these checks yet:

-Compression test
-Chemical block test
-Removing and inspecting spark plugs

What should I do? I'm not afraid to get my hands dirty as I've worked on all the car I've owned since I was 18. I've got a lot of time on my hands right now and I want this issue figured out.

Should I start with a new rad cap and thermostat? I can't find any leaks in the system or on the ground. I do have to refill my coolant every 8 months or so or sometimes not at all. If it is the HG I plan to do it myself because the shops around here are laughable and questionable to say the very least.

Any help would be greatly appreciated and I know I've posted something similar while ago but I didn't want to bump an old thread.

Thanks again!

Before I tear the turbo off, what about PCV or fuel injectors? I know those can cause smoking from exhaust especially if they are clogged/old. I have also replaced the gasket and the oil inside (on cams ect.) looks brand new. So I'm getting close to dismissing the HG as an issue. Further thoughts on valve stem seals or is that unnecessary? Also, where is the FIAV located? Someone mentioned that on page one.

Just a recap so we can hopefully move past the HG:

-No mixing of oil and coolant (reservoir, dipstick, radiator cap, oil cap, the fluids themselves)
-No lack of power
-Never overheated
-Spark plugs not covered with coolant
-Cyl. heads are dirty

Last edited:
Before I tear the turbo off, what about PCV or fuel injectors? I know those can cause smoking from exhaust especially if they are clogged/old. I have also replaced the gasket and the oil inside (on cams ect.) looks brand new. So I'm getting close to dismissing the HG as an issue. Further thoughts on valve stem seals or is that unnecessary? Also, where is the FIAV located? Someone mentioned that on page one.

Just a recap so we can hopefully move past the HG:

-No mixing of oil and coolant (reservoir, dipstick, radiator cap, oil cap, the fluids themselves)
-No lack of power
-Never overheated
-Spark plugs not covered with coolant
-Cyl. heads are dirty

FIAV is located under the throttle body, attached to the bottom of it to be more precise. Valve stem seals would give you an oil burn, not a coolant so that seems like an unlikely issue.

You said you change the thermostat, did it make a difference? If not I would say, and this is my opinion, I would agree it's the headgasket, it's possible that when you're engine is hot enough its warping just enough to give you a small coolant leak into the cylinder, but then goes away as the engine cools slightly. If it is that small a leak then it may not mix with the oil as the oil is thicker and cant pass through the gap. The headgasket is a common issue with the 4g63 engine and the hardest part about taking it off is retiming the engine afterwards.

Last edited by a moderator:
You said you change the thermostat, did it make a difference? If not I would say, and this is my opinion, I would agree it's the headgasket, it's possible that when you're engine is hot enough its warping just enough to give you a small coolant leak into the cylinder, but then goes away as the engine cools slightly. If it is that small a leak then it may not mix with the oil as the oil is thicker and cant pass through the gap. The headgasket is a common issue with the 4g63 engine and the hardest part about taking it off is retaining the engine afterwards.

I'll be turning the key today to see if the it the problem still persists. If it does, I'm just gonna go to a DIY garage if found 2 miles away from my house. Only 30 bucks per hour with tools included so I'm not lose much off of 5-6 hours working on it myself especially since I already have all the parts. If the thermostat isn't it, I'll be at the garage doing the HG. Fingers crossed the head isn't...never mind. Positive thoughts.

I'll be turning the key today to see if the it the problem still persists. If it does, I'm just gonna go to a DIY garage if found 2 miles away from my house. Only 30 bucks per hour with tools included so I'm not lose much off of 5-6 hours working on it myself especially since I already have all the parts. If the thermostat isn't it, I'll be at the garage doing the HG. Fingers crossed the head isn't...never mind. Positive thoughts.
Just make sure they do the timing properly afterwards, the balance shaft, oil pump and cams all have to be perfect of the engine is done for.

Before I go to the DIY garage, I added turbo seals or just a rebuild on my to do list since some people mentioned it could be the or part of the issue. Can anyone identify this turbo? Looking pretty beat up imo.

You must be logged in to view this image or video.

Before I go to the DIY garage, I added turbo seals or just a rebuild on my to do list since some people mentioned it could be the or part of the issue. Can anyone identify this turbo? Looking pretty beat up imo.

You must be logged in to view this image or video.
Looks like a 16g but a better identifier would be the part number that's usually stamped on the compressor housing. That being said, it could the photo but that impeller looks a little chewed up to me.

Hey guys,

Since I'm in QT I decided to work on my car.

Car: 1997 Eclipse GST
Millage: 193,xxx

Here's the issue. I get a some white smoke out of the exhaust while idling for a couple of minutes. This will ONLY occur if the engine is at operating temperature. If I continue to drive the smoke seems to die down not to be seen again until I have to idle (long traffic light, heavy traffic jam ect.). I mainly make short trips with this car so I rarely see the issue pop up unless its rush hour. Driving to work I never see the issue show up due to the fact I drive 12ish miles round trip. I even took her on a long 80 mile round trip with no issues majority of the driving being done on the freeway keep in mind.

I hate to admit, but I recently just got my hands on a OBII reader and my CEL has been on for a while now due to a O2 sensor that I can't seem to get to budge out of its home. OBII reader in hand about a week ago I picked up a new code not knowing how long this code has persisted in the logs.

P0170: The bump O2 sensor. I know the code because I friend ran his reader on my car over a year ago. But because I didn't have to smog last year, I kinda didn't really wanna fuss with it. Currently working on it though.
P0125: Something to do with the ECT or thermostat. I replaced the ECT today and burped the system. The problem still persisted.

A lot of people keep on telling me its the HG. But I've seen and owned a car that had a blown gasket before and I just don't think it's the issue and here's why:

-No loss of power
-No miss fires due to coolant in engine
-No "white goo" on oil cap
-Temp gauge is always sitting just like a cm below the optimal operating temperature on the dash
-No issues of starting the car. She turns over right away and purrs happily
-No little bubbles or boiling over from under the rad cap
-As stated in the post, the car isn't ALWAYS letting out this white smoke, only under certain circumstances

I have done these checks yet:

-Compression test
-Chemical block test
-Removing and inspecting spark plugs

What should I do? I'm not afraid to get my hands dirty as I've worked on all the car I've owned since I was 18. I've got a lot of time on my hands right now and I want this issue figured out.

Should I start with a new rad cap and thermostat? I can't find any leaks in the system or on the ground. I do have to refill my coolant every 8 months or so or sometimes not at all. If it is the HG I plan to do it myself because the shops around here are laughable and questionable to say the very least.

Any help would be greatly appreciated and I know I've posted something similar while ago but I didn't want to bump an old thread.

Thanks again!
I literally have the same problem.. any solution? I smoke while idling and recently got worse . Got CEL P0125 , cleared the code to see if it would come back , as this code came on after washing the car , and turning on condenser fans and fan

P0125 is front O2 sensor. White smoke is burning coolant either HG or turbo seals. Do compression test to see if HG blown. Cooling system pressure test to see if holding pressure or leaks. Any coolant in oil?

P0125 is front O2 sensor. White smoke is burning coolant either HG or turbo seals. Do compression test to see if HG blown. Cooling system pressure test to see if holding pressure or leaks. Any coolant in oil?
No coolant in oil , no oil in coolant , or any milky liquid.. changed thermostat temperature sensor , and flushed coolant just to be in the safe side . Ordered a new 02 sensor today but it wasn’t the right one .. had to clean and re use the old one for now till tomorrow when the sensor arrives at o reiles. Ended up showing two extra codes after driving for about 10 min on the bad sensor .. code p0135 and p0125 … even tho I already replaced the temp sensor . Are they turning on because I haven’t replaced the O2 ? I know it needs the sensor it’s shot out , and the temp sensor is brand new . Will update once new sensor is on tomorrow if you reply to me

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back