The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support Morrison Fabrications
Please Support Fuel Injector Clinic

cooling fan question

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

GetSomeDsm

Probationary Member
Feb 6, 2012
Aurora, Colorado
i bought a DNA dual core radiator but i was a still using my stock fans and with my new turbo the j pipe is not letting the condesor fan fit so im ordering new slim push pull fans and was wondering if i can have the condensor fan pushing from the other side and the radiator fan pulling from the factory mount if it will still work or if there will be complications

well i wanna keep my a/c so is it possible to still have both fan on the front of the radiator with my a/c still intact. second question is i have a huge front mount on my car so is that going to play a huge part on restriction for my air circulation and should i remove the plastic shroud that separates the front mount to the raditor to increase more air flow or is that just going to heat up my intercooler and i should just leave it on ? i just want to do it right so please any information would be great

With putting the slim line fans on between the radiator and turbo that isnt gonna give you enough clearance for the j pipe? And as far as putting the fans on in front of the radiator with ac still intact im not sure of the clearance between the intercooler/ac/radiator and how slim the slim line fans really are to put the fans in between there. And with that huge front mount it wont restrict any air flow to the radiator. Ive heard good reviews on the slim lines about how they push/pull a lot of air to help keep things cool. So assuming your using the 14b turbo (your profile doesnt state otherwise) you can take that plastic shroud off and it isnt gonna heat soak your intercooler.

I run dual slim fans a puller and pusher since my wastegate is in the way, and my intercooler was just causing to much of a problem. The few times Florida gets cold I have an issue with it getting to operating temp so I have one wired to a switch, but my temps stay pretty low and I have no complaints. I also have no AC parts either. They move a significant amount of air to, Im pretty pleased with the set up.

Don't bother with a pusher setup - there is not enough clearance between the A/C condenser and the radiator for them to fit and pushers are less effective than a pulling system as well. Putting pushers on the outside of the A/C condensor IMO would be innefective at properly cooling the radiator too due to the obstruction of the condensor.

Measure the back side of the radiator and the depth distance behind that to the J-pipe, and/or the air intake to turbo pipe to make sure you have enough clearance for whatever fans you end up getting.

I suggest you get a pair of SPAL fans and install in basically the same position as the stockers - in a puller (not pusher) configuration. Believe me I spent ALOT of time trying to work out temp control on my GST here in Miami. I tried 2 other "well known" brnads and, the SPALs are IMHO the best electric fans BY FAR.

The SPALs, in particular their High Output fans are stronger than other brands' "slim" electric fans.

Another plus of the Spals is their bracket and strap mounts make for a near OEM look installation. The cheapie pin mounts with the retention clips that go through the radiator start to destroy the cooling fins over time with vibration.

I have an aftermarket Fluidyne aluminum radiator that I'm pretty sure is a little thinner than stock.

On the passenger's side I put in an 11" SPAL puller High Output: 30102800HO (VA03-AP90/LL-68A). A 12" probably would have fit too.

On the driver's side I put in a 12" Spal puller (regular output - its a little thinner profile than the one above): SPAL P/N 30102038 (VA01-AP70-36A)

There are several vendors for these SPAL fans, I got mine at 1aelectric. On the specific fan model you can click on the specs and get very detailed dimensional measurements for you to measure clearances.

The HO models DO draw alot of amps so if you are on the stocker alternator go with the standard fans. In my case I have the Saturn alternator swap in so I'm running one HO and one standard fan. I think TWO of the HO's would put too much of a strain even on the stronger alternator so I wouldn't put a pair of those on. In fact if I ever replace the 11" HO one on the passenger side I'll probably put on a 12" standard output fan P/N #30102029 or #30102038. The former is curved bladed - a little quieter but less CFM and the latter is straight bladed, louder but a bit more CFM.

I doubt it gets near as hot or humid for you in Colorado as here in Miami so you could probably do fine with two standard SPAL pullers.

The FMIC is a VERY large obstruction to airflow getting to the radiator. If even with a good fan setup, and the rest of the cooling system working properly you still have temp issues you may want to consider cutting vents into the front of the bumper above the regular opening. See this: http://www.dsmtuners.com/forums/app...ior/427844-front-bumper-cut-outs-cooling.html

Good luck.

Last edited:
Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back