The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support Fuel Injector Clinic
Please Support ExtremePSI

Coolent dripping from oil filter housing

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Merkles

15+ Year Contributor
May 19, 2006
Lake George, New_York
only when my car is on and warmed up, coolent dripped from the 2 threaded areas shown, once car is turn off it stops

attachment.php

Well, not to be condescending, but coolant isn't circulating through your engine unless it is at operating temperature or higher. So when the car is off or not warmed up fully of course you are not going to notice the leak.

Best thing at this point from my stand-point is to drain the oil, make sure no coolant is getting into the oil reservoir or picking it up from the filter (you will notice the discoloration if it is). If it isn't replace the offending part (unless you can use thread repair local at any AutoZone) and call it a good day and grab a beer.

are you sure that its coolant and not oil?, my oil filter housing leaks a small amount of oil from those threads. If you have coolant coming from those threads then you probably have a pretty big problem.

Amen, you should not have coolant coming out of those threads. Are you sure it is not originating elsewhere, higher up, and running down to those areas? You may have a coolant leak from the oil cooler lines, from a crushed cooler (is there oil in your coolant?), or the aluminum water pipe going to the water pump and the leak is just terminating at those low points as gravity draws the fluid downward.

not to be a downer but i had the same problema and took it to a dsm mechanic and he looked at it and said it was a blown head gasketso you might want to look into that, hope i'm wrong but just being honest...good luck with that and post back and let me know what it was.

Blown head gasket is a lot smaller of a fix then a blown engine. Though off the top of my head I believe they cost around 125 from a local parts store.

I still don't think the coolant is coming from those threads, like I said, drain the oil, see if their is any coolant in it. If there isn't locate the offending area, repair or replace and grab a beer.

dropped my car off this morning at the shop and picked it up later and they told me it was my water pump, so, tonight i am gonna take off my timing belt cover jus to verify with my own eyes before i go ahead and order anything, will keep progress posted

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back