The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support STM Tuned
Please Support STM Tuned

420A Coolant Temperature Sender Values?

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

97egl

Proven Member
Feb 6, 2014
Brownsburg, Indiana
Have an issue with hard starts and running rich when hot (Anywhere from 200-230)

Trying to eliminate things. Unfortunately I have a 95 and my scan tool will not read anything on 95's so I'm trying to test the resistance of the ECT old school with an ohm meter. Does anyone know the values it should have. I'm getting (This is a 95 non-turbo)

190- 1 K ohms
140- 2.2K ohms
120- 4K ohms

Did you try using your scan tool? All 95 model years Eclipse's were built compliant to the 96 ODBII standards. If your scan tool works for 96's I would think it should work on a 95 Eclipse. Just curious if you actual tried connecting your scan tool.

This is what the FSM shows-
You must be logged in to view this image or video.

I removed my sensor to test it a few years ago. I measured resistance with the sensor in boiling water on the stove (212 deg. F) and in Ice Water (32 deg. F). The resistance was way off per the values in the Manual for that temperature. I'll see if I can upload the values from my Haynes Manual had for various temperatures. The ECU uses coolant temperature as one of the inputs for determining proper Fuel delivery and Air/Fuel ratios. FYI I have a 420A (1995 Talon). I purchased a new sensor on Rock Auto for replacement. I hope this helps.

Thanks for the replys. I plugged the scan tool in but get nothing. I had issues with another 95 as well not connecting but have had it connected to a 97 and 99 no problem as well as dozens of other cars.

Thanks for posting the FSM values. It looks like I am a bit lower on high temp side but can't get it above 190 without running it on the track so looks like ill just have to try and make sure it doesn't stall out. Race is tommorow so I don;t have time to mess with it at this point.

Again appreciate the help guys!

the intake air sensor and coolant temp sensor use the same thermistor. that means if they are both at ambient temp, they will have the same resistance.

Thanks for the chart dusty! Do you know which column is which sensor? I was going to pull both sensors and boil them in an old pot to check them as I am still having issues with the car dying if it drops below 3,000 rpm once the temp gets over 200.

the sensors use a 10K NTC thermistor.
the middle column is the values for a type3 sensor and the right column is the values for a type 2 sensor. Im not sure which type the sensors are cause the service manual specs are within the range of both types

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back