The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support STM Tuned
Please Support ExtremePSI

1G Which Coolant temp sensor causes 21 code

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JBDdsmer610

15+ Year Contributor
Mar 4, 2006
easton, Pennsylvania
ok guys so i was driving my car the other night and I had my laptop hooked up and capturing a log with my link. I went back and looked at the log and noticed my internal temp was reading 97 degrees, and my factory gauge is right where its supposed to be and my aftermarket gauge was reading like 180. I'm just wondering if I could possibly have a bad coolant temp sensor since it was only reading 97 degrees. and it was prolly about 65-70 degrees out that night

Sounds to me like you're logging coolant temp in celcius. 97*C = 206*F which is right in line with normal.

Usually when the coolant temp sensor goes bad it'll read super low, like -40* or around there IIRC.

ok guys I'm trying to figure out witch 2 wire sensor is the one that the ECU you reads my car is throwing a check engine light code 0021 coolant temp sensor circuit malfunction. Is it the two wire sensor on the top or the bottom the one that I need to replace ?

Its on the bottom

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    107 KB · Views: 105
Thanks, i looked at that exact pic somewhere online don't know where but thats the pic i used for a refrence. I actually wasn't quite sure if i even ordered the right sensor but i did. when i would hook up my laptop to my car and connect to link and run a live stream my coolant temp was reading -74 degrees all the time it would never move. so when i actually went to put the new sensor in and match them up to make sure it was correct i started pulling back the boot around the wires connected to the sensor and noticed the orange wire on the bottom actually was broken off of the plug, so in the parts store parking lot i cut the factory plug off and put a female spade connector on each wire and then hooked them back up the car started right up and the CEL turned right off, and the car was deff running a lot better but now my regulator in my Alternator decided to crap out on me and the voltage dropped as low as 9 volts when i was driving it tonight but i was able to limp it home and just got it into a parking spot.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back