The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support RTM Racing
Please Support Rix Racing

Coolant temp sensor test results

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Macspsi

10+ Year Contributor
Nov 12, 2011
Cumberland, Virginia
Alright I did some testing with the multimeter on the 200k Ohm setting to measure for resistance with the key on the on position. My results were 11.8 I'm thinking this means it is bad because my car will not start. After trying a few times I checked the plugs and they were soaked with fuel. And as I know if the coolant temp sensor is bad it will tell the injectors to send more fuel when it doesn't flooding the car.

When I first bought my car it wouldn't start when it was cold, I replaced the coolant temp sensor and it fixed that problem. But it had to be almost freezing, like low 30's before it wouldn't start.

After my sensor was replaced however, it fires right up, even in below freezing temps.

According to the manual that amount of resistance correlates to a very cold temp (well below freezing). That's a classic symptom of a defective sensor. For comparison, coolant temp of about 70F should have resistance of about 2.5

Alright thanks where can i get a new one from? Just any auto parts store? I'm going to check around on the classifieds as well for a partout. Just checked at napa i can get one for $18 picking it up tomorrow morning.

If you have fuel, spark and compression then theres only a couple things
1: Timing is off
2: Plug wiring is wrong order
maybe a 3rd could be too much/too little fuel but it sounds like you are stock in that department.

What is your compression exactly? If its around 170+ then timing has probably not jumped.

Timing is dead on very strong motor 180 across. Stock fuel pump just re-wired. The only thing I can think of now is spark plug wires and my injector pins because the motor I have now is a 95 (cas) and I have a 97 ecu.

What's the mpi fuse? Where is it?

To be sure of myself got the car to tdc and timing is dead on. And when I got the marks to line up the car made an electrical noise, like when you first cut the key on and about to start the car. And I also tried to start it again it tries to start up but it just won't

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back