The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support Morrison Fabrications
Please Support ExtremePSI

Coolant Problem

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ChicagoGSX

20+ Year Contributor
Nov 6, 2002
Glenview_IL
On the way home I noticed that my car was running hot. I was able to get it home w/o it overheating. I got home and I seem to be leaking coolant from somewhere underneath (won't be able to pinpoint it til I get home tonight). However, my coolant overflow is full, but the upper radiator hose is completely empty. Is there also something wrong with my thermostat or is it just the leak?

If you know you have a leak, there is no reason not to start there.

Also, go ahead and change the thermostat, they're only like 20 bucks anyways.

Something to keep in mind: If the coolant is not flowing properly, then the temperature readings on the gauge are much lower than the actual temperature of the coolant inside the motor.

Ok, I was just wondering is the fact that the Upper Radiator hose empty a symptom of a bad thermostat. I'm going to jack it up now, I have a suspicion its leaking from one of the turbo water lines.

It seems to be leaking from where the lower turbo coolant pipe connects to the block. Is there anyway to test the system at home so I can identify this as the leak or do I have to have it towed to a dealership. Also if it was leaking from there is it likely to have sprayed all over the bottom of the engine. There is coolant covering most of the front side of the engine below the turbo all the way down to the crossmember.

From Autozone you can get a pump to pressurise your Coolant system. Fill it up with coolant, pressurise it and look for leaks. You line could have gotten loose or the crush washer might have gone bad.
-Dallas J

Its actually because I only had 1/2 gallon of coolant left. The coolant hose for the turbo was literally cut in half, so I tried to refill the coolant to pressure test it, and as soon as I had about a gallon in all of it poured out.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back