The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support JNZ Tuning
Please Support ExtremePSI

Coolant leak w/ Video - water pump?

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ErikTande

Supporting Member
Dec 17, 2012
Centennial, Colorado
You must be logged in to view this image or video.

I sprung a coolant leak somewhere, and it seems to be coming from above the main pulley. It's coming out behind the drivers side tire, and it's not the heater hoses, and the radiator and radiator hoses are all dry. It is the water pump?

It could also be the o-ring from the water pump to the water pipe. There are not many places on that side of the engine for a large coolant leak over there. Because the water pump is behind the timing cover, it will simply run down the inside of the timing cover and then spread the leak out over the distance of the bottom of the timing cover and anything that is below the water pump.

Only places I can think of off the top of my head:
Oil Cooler housing hose issue (located too low for your video)
Water pump seal
Water pump o-ring issue
Blown headgasket issue

Last edited:
Definitely the water pump or water pipe to pump. That's a lot of leakage so it's not just the weep hole.

Oh, ok. I bet it's the water pump then, I was hearing a noise that started on monday that sounded like loose bearings that started a few days ago coming from the water pump area. It was faint and intermittent, but I bet that's what it is.[DOUBLEPOST=1407445263][/DOUBLEPOST]Ok, so assuming it's the water pump, I'm looking at a full timing belt job, right?

Last edited:

Update. I just remembered I had adjusted my alternator belt a week before this leak happened. If I over tightened it, would it cause the pump to leak?

Update. I just remembered I had adjusted my alternator belt a week before this leak happened. If I over tightened it, would it cause the pump to leak?
I would say yes, if you over tighten it, it will cause more stress on the bearings and it will fail more quicker.

Agreed, be sure to get oem, at least gates definitely on the pump. Gates make good belts, heard they make the oem for mitsu not sure for def but they have gotten good reviews on here with the t/belt. Do the o ring too and clean everything all nice and you'll be much happier. You don't wanna see another leak in xxx? miles.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back