The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support RTM Racing
Please Support Morrison Fabrication

2G Coolant leak from o2 sensor?

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Andrew_99_GST

Proven Member
Oct 18, 2014
Omaha, Nebraska
I changed over turbos and o2 housings. Now the o2 sensor pushes against the coolant pipe that goes into the water pump. Because the o2 sensor pushes against it, I'm getting a coolant leak. Anything I can do?

You might need to relocate your O2 bung.
O2 sensor should forward between engine oil check dipstick and alternator since there has enough space.

You might need to relocate your O2 bung.
O2 sensor should forward between engine oil check dipstick and alternator since there has enough space.

I believe my only option is to relocate the bung. But for the hassle I may as well go to a new o2 housing. After tightening the o2 housing down and the turbo to exhaust manifold bolts again, the o2 sensor won't even thread in. It points straight into that water pipe.

Chances are you're going to need a new water pipe. JNZ has 1g and 2g waterpipes.

1g http://www.jnztuning.com/product_info.php?products_id=3178
2g http://www.jnztuning.com/product_info.php?products_id=3179

But the real question here is why would you run a setup that in your own words "o2 sensor pushes against the coolant pipe"?

I don't see how a new pipe would make a difference. Also, I did not realize the o2 sensor would push against the pipe. If the bung was pointed 5 degrees lower, it would fit fine.

I'm not understanding from which "coolant pipe" you're leaking from; I had assumed the water pipe. My apologies.

But you're more likely then not going to have to get another o2 housing and reweld the bung in a better location. Sucks that you have to go through all that work again...

I'm not understanding from which "coolant pipe" you're leaking from; I had assumed the water pipe. My apologies.

But you're more likely then not going to have to get another o2 housing and reweld the bung in a better location. Sucks that you have to go through all that work again...

It is the water pipe. However, it only leaks when being pryed by the o2 sensor. I'd be more mad if I had to redo the water pump. We've already done timing 4 times. I was finally in the home stretch, and 1 more problem arises. That's the way of dsm I guess.[DOUBLEPOST=1417577661][/DOUBLEPOST]I just stumbled upon an o2 spacer.
Example
You must be logged in to view this image or video.

I think this may be an easier solution.

Initially I had said you will have to replace the waterpipe, as it has a leak. That does not require redoing the timing. Take off the turbo again... any turbo coolant lines... two bolts holding the pipe.

As for that o2 sensor relocation, I'm sure that will resolve the immediate issues you're having. But I'm not sure if there will be any impact on your o2 readings.

Initially I had said you will have to replace the waterpipe, as it has a leak. That does not require redoing the timing. Take off the turbo again... any turbo coolant lines... two bolts holding the pipe.

As for that o2 sensor relocation, I'm sure that will resolve the immediate issues you're having. But I'm not sure if there will be any impact on your o2 readings.

After research, it would effect readings. So I decided to cap the hole (it came with one), and getting a bung welded into my new downpipe.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back