The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support Kiggly Racing
Please Support STM Tuned

1G Coolant filling reservoir.

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mitsuowner1991

10+ Year Contributor
Sep 29, 2009
West Keansburg, New_Jersey
Ok so for a while I keep loosing coolant.. but there isn't a puddle on the ground or anywhere wet in the engine.. so I was told Mabe the heater core is leaking. So I bought a coolant pressure tester pump. And it's holding 12psi no problem. What should I look at next?

Coolant pressure

You must be logged in to view this image or video.

Get a good radiator cap. Like the 1.3 bar (18psi) ones, see if that helps.
I bought a new stock cap and even just tested it with this tester and this cap isn't leaking.

Any recommendations were to get one?

I've also changed my oil checking for coolant mixed in it. And it's gold as new... And no smoke out of the exhaust.

You can get a rad cap from one of our vendors Rockauto...
You are losing coolant.... is it possible that it`s just releasing more air and you need to top it up now and again ?

The problem is it starts to over heat because it pushes so much coolant out.
I cant drive it for more then 15minutes without it starting to get hot. And it's because the coolant is low. Everytime I wanna run it I have to top off the coolant first..

Make sure all of your hose clamps are tight. I've had to double clamp a few to stop them from seeping at operating temperature as well.

The problem is it starts to over heat because it pushes so much coolant out.
I cant drive it for more then 15minutes without it starting to get hot. And it's because the coolant is low. Everytime I wanna run it I have to top off the coolant first..
When you say pushes it out, do you mean that after you do a hard pull the reservoir overflows?

Make sure all of your hose clamps are tight. I've had to double clamp a few to stop them from seeping at operating temperature as well.
I would hear it leak or the pressure gauge would go down when I did the coolant pressure test. It stayed at 13psi for over 20minutes

When you say pushes it out, do you mean that after you do a hard pull the reservoir overflows?
I mean like the system is full and after I go for a ten minute regular drive the coolant leaves the system and fills the reservoir

Last edited by a moderator:
Are you filling the reservoir to the full mark, running it to operating temperature with the cap off, topping off as necessary, and ensuring there's no air in the system?

How's your thermostat? Could be a thermostat problem not opening all the way if it's old.

How's your thermostat? Could be a thermostat problem not opening all the way if it's old.
I just put a brand new thermostat

I just put a brand new thermostat
Which way should the jiggle valve face. Mine is at 3:00 oclock

That makes me think head gasket.
If the head gasket was bad wouldn't I have coolant in the oil.

If the head gasket was bad wouldn't I have coolant in the oil.
It's also a brand new head gasket

Are you filling the reservoir to the full mark, running it to operating temperature with the cap off, topping off as necessary, and ensuring there's no air in the system?
I had the reservoir filled to the minimum mark and I went for 10 minute drive and checked it and now it's almost full to the top.

The point of pressure testing the cooling system is to see if it drops below the set PSI(I would recommend to the cap rating).
You saying that it’s holding, then saying you’re losing coolant just means you’re not looking hard enough. Get some dish soap/water in a bottle and start spraying every hose end, flange, pipe, seam, etc.

The point of pressure testing the cooling system is to see if it drops below the set PSI(I would recommend to the cap rating).
You saying that it’s holding, then saying you’re losing coolant just means you’re not looking hard enough. Get some dish soap/water in a bottle and start spraying every hose end, flange, pipe, seam, etc.
I understand the point of pressure testing is to see if it holds pressure. I put 12psi in and it held with no drop in pressure..

I make sure the rad is full before I go out. And within 10 minutes of driving it starts to get hot and then my reservoir fills up... Believe me I'm looking hard enough. I wanna drive the car. Im loading coolant because it's pushing it into the reservoir .

Do you think maybe your heater core is plugged... Try driving with the heater full blast and if there`s no heat then there must be a blockage some where in the system. Worth a try.....
My heat works great. I just thought of something. Soo when the coolant expands and there's to much in the system it pushes it into the overflow reservoir.. and when it cools it's suppose to pull coolant back from the reservoir. Well the hose that's supposed to be connect to the cap wasn't connect so no coolant could get sucked back into the system. I'm gonna go get the hose attached good and then run it.

Im pretty sure it was a metal FelPRO. And yes the head was check and ported and polished. Also the block was check when it was at the machine shop. If the head gasket was bad wouldn't I have either white smoke from the exhaust or coolant mixing with the oil? The oil is as gold as new. And it dosnt smoke at all.
Did you install a composite or mls head gasket? Was the head checked for warpage before install?

What does the surface of the housing where the cap attaches look like?
One of my Stealth's used to push the coolant like this due to the housing being corroded and the cap couldn't make a good seal with the base of the housing. The pressure tester may not find this because it seals differently than the normal cap.

I did a temp fix by cleaning the corrosion, filling the gaps with JB Weld, and machining a new flat surface with the intent to replace the housing but it worked longer than the car lasted.

What does the surface of the housing where the cap attaches look like?
One of my Stealth's used to push the coolant like this due to the housing being corroded and the cap couldn't make a good seal with the base of the housing. The pressure tester may not find this because it seals differently than the normal cap.
I don't see any corrosion. I think my problem is the hose in the overflow keeps falling off so the hot coolant can enter the overflow but since the hose isn't connected it can't go back when the system cools.

I don't have a solution though I have to agree that the overheating is a primary issue. Is the water pump circulating coolant? Can you see it moving with the radiator cap off when the thermostat opens

I don't see any corrosion. I think my problem is the hose in the overflow keeps falling off so the hot coolant can enter the overflow but since the hose isn't connected it can't go back when the system cools.
So that’s pretty much your entire problem.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back