The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support Kiggly Racing
Please Support Fuel Injector Clinic

2G Converting Manual Mirrors to Electric Mirrors

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jdalvarez117

Supporting Member
Apr 6, 2019
Corpus Christi, Texas
I am again asking for your knowledge.

So, I recently picked up a pair of electric mirrors for my 2G Spyder, as I found the plug in harnesses in the doors. However, I have been unable to locate the plug for the control switch. I've gone as far as removing the lower part of the dash, crawling up under it and looking around without luck. Hell, I pulled the gauge cluster just to make sure it didn't end up tucked in behind it somewhere. (Obviously, it wasn't there either.) So, I did some searching here and the only threads I found similar to this were inconclusive or incomplete.

Can anyone direct me to where I would need to start with wiring in the plug for the mirror control switch? Or will I need to get a hold of a different interior harness to complete this project? What other options would I have? Am I just blind? Inquiring minds need to know. Thanks in advance!

(I will include photos as soon as I can.)

The harness should be the same with connectors ready to clip in. You will need the dash switch panel for controls of the mirrors

I have the switch panel, but for the life of me cannot locate the plug for it in the dash...
Hmmm. My gs had the plug for it and that had manual mirrors as stock. Is it hidden to 1 side?

Hmmm. My gs had the plug for it and that had manual mirrors as stock. Is it hidden to 1 side?
Not that I could tell right off hand. I know the fog light plug is there, but I haven't been able to locate the plug for the mirrors. I've pulled the lower dash cover off and looked, I've crawled under the dash and looked. No idea if it is there or not. I would figure it is, seeing as the doors have the wiring for them. Maybe I'm just blind. It is about time for new glasses :|

Not that I could tell right off hand. I know the fog light plug is there, but I haven't been able to locate the plug for the mirrors. I've pulled the lower dash cover off and looked, I've crawled under the dash and looked. No idea if it is there or not. I would figure it is, seeing as the doors have the wiring for them. Maybe I'm just blind. It is about time for new glasses :|
Haha perhaps. Its strange its not right in front you you when you pull the panel off or that mirror panel off. I cant answer this weird one im afraid, sorry

Haha perhaps. Its strange its not right in front you you when you pull the panel off or that mirror panel off. I cant answer this weird one im afraid, sorry
No worries. I'm starting to think they either hid it really well, or this interior harness just doesn't have it... Which doesn't make sense to me since the doors are wired for it. :idontknow:

No worries. I'm starting to think they either hid it really well, or this interior harness just doesn't have it... Which doesn't make sense to me since the doors are wired for it. :idontknow:
They all have it, im dead sure of that, as my gs chassis has it and that had manual door windows and mirrors and all the connectors are there for power. Only thing i can think of is its been chopped off or the harness has been hacked a bit for de wiring some bits, weird idea i know

They all have it, im dead sure of that, as my gs chassis has it and that had manual door windows and mirrors and all the connectors are there for power. Only thing i can think of is its been chopped off or the harness has been hacked a bit for de wiring some bits, weird idea i know
I know one of the previous owners had installed aftermarket fogs and a random toggle switch for them. Hacked up the fog light plug a bit for that one, I know that for sure. I'm honestly not sure what else may have been done under there. I did recently completely remove an aftermarket security system from under the dash the other day.

(https://www.dsmtuners.com/threads/1998-spyder-gs-blinker-issue.528834/#post-153763516)

I'll say, that was soooo much fun...

You must be logged in to view this image or video.

This is what I'm looking at so far.

OP — We tried the same thing on our US DSM GS, and the portion of the harness for the dash controls is not there. The door harnesses have the mirror plugs, but the dash harness does not. We even bought the dash switch and kept the mirrors. If we ever run out of other projects, we’ll make our own sub harness. You could make yours. There are wiring diagrams here for you to reference. The reason we wanted to change the mirrors was that the door bezels for the mirror joystick was broken. We got replacements from Stevie Miller, but I did see a reference that some people are 3D printing replacements.

OP — We tried the same thing on our US DSM GS, and the portion of the harness for the dash controls is not there. The door harnesses have the mirror plugs, but the dash harness does not. We even bought the dash switch and kept the mirrors. If we ever run out of other projects, we’ll make our own sub harness. You could make yours. There are wiring diagrams here for you to reference. The reason we wanted to change the mirrors was that the door bezels for the mirror joystick was broken. We got replacements from Stevie Miller, but I did see a reference that some people are 3D printing replacements.
Aight, I'll check em out. Man, I was hoping not to have to make one...

This is what I'm looking at so far.
No idea then, i got this for you if it helps trace it

I am literally doing this conversion right now. I have an RS eclipse, not a spyder but I also thought I didn't have the harness under the dash for the switch. Both of the joystick plastic panels are in pieces, and I never liked the manual mirrors anyways. I tried repairing them with small plastic braces and epoxy, but it only held for a few months before it broke apart again.

Anyhow, I managed to find the plug, hopefully this picture help. It's towards the inner left side of the kick panel. If you stick your head under the dash, turn so you're facing the driver seat, and look to your upper right near the knee panel light it's there. That being said, I believe all spyders had manual mirrors so maybe they did actually get a different dash harness.

Attachments

• 20200508_000719.jpg
    20200508_000719.jpg
    818.2 KB · Views: 208
I am literally doing this conversion right now. I have an RS eclipse, not a spyder but I also thought I didn't have the harness under the dash for the switch. Both of the joystick plastic panels are in pieces, and I never liked the manual mirrors anyways. I tried repairing them with small plastic braces and epoxy, but it only held for a few months before it broke apart again.

Anyhow, I managed to find the plug, hopefully this picture help. It's towards the inner left side of the kick panel. If you stick your head under the dash, turn so you're facing the driver seat, and look to your upper right near the knee panel light it's there. That being said, I believe all spyders had manual mirrors so maybe they did actually get a different dash harness.

No dice on my end... Also trying to figure out how you took that pic...
My big ass can't get that angle. ROFL

I don't think they are on the Spyder. I went to a junk yard to pull the harness from a GS hatchback. It was 99 degrees and way too difficult. The mirror connector on that car was right off the main dash harness. There is nothing on my harness in the same spot. Replacing the dash harness is too much work, plus you would have to find one that has the same power options as your car, and hope the person you buy it from knows the difference. I looked at hacking the harness, but that makes me nervous. You see many posts on this site like, my lights are not working, no sound out my speakers and worse. This harness also connects into the speedo and dash gauges. I may scrap this upgrade.

If anyone is in Houston, this car had rear wheel disc. It was at Pick-a-part on Northville. That was about a week ago though.

No dice on my end... Also trying to figure out how you took that pic...
My big ass can't get that angle. ROFL

I know this is super late, just saw this now LOL. Yeah, it was a pain getting in that position, working on cars has made me an honorary Cirque du Soleil member.
I got 2 used door harnesses off Ebay, and I'm making a list with all the part numbers needed for the conversion for anybody who embarks on this sidequest. Yeah, looks like the Spyders don't have the harness in place, that sucks. I was considering trying to wire them in if I couldn't get a good condition door harness (the ones I got are not even that great, all the plastic clips are broken) so when I get to it I'll see what's the situation. I don't think you'll need to hack the main dash harness, really just the door harness. That being said they are sitting on a shelf in my garage collecting dust :D

The Spyder GS dash harness does not even have front floor courtesy lights. They could be added much easier than the mirrors.

Meteor is correct that the main harness doesn’t need to be hacked to add the mirrors, but a power source will need to be located and tapped into. The wiring will wind up being its own sub harness.

Where’s our 3D printing members at?? DSMers NEED the triangular inner door bezels that hold the manual mirror joystick.

What do you need to do this on an RS? Just the switch, the door harnesses and the mirrors? Is it basically plug and play after that?

What do you need to do this on an RS? Just the switch, the door harnesses and the mirrors? Is it basically plug and play after that?

If your dash harness doesn't have the plug for the mirror switch, you'll need to either wire in the plug (wiring NIGHTMARE!!) or replace the dash harness with one that has the plugs for it.

If your doors already have the plugs, you should be good there, if not, replace them too.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back