The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support Fuel Injector Clinic
Please Support STM Tuned

Converting from a Talon to an Eclipse [Merged 3-8]

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

O it sucks. I did the conversion on my car about 4 months ago. I have been pulled over about 5 times since the one was right after I broke my motor in and was JUST boosting it for the first time. They he called 4 other cops: 94 in 55, suspended licence (mistake), registration not on me, STOLEN TAGS ( talon tags on an eclipse), STOLEN CAR ( talon tags on an eclipse). I was on the side of the road for over an hour when they finaly told me what everything other then speeding was and I just pointed to the steering wheel with the eagle. Then he reran my vin and realized he put it through wrong. But anyways my center tail light says eclipse. And I have been pulled over twice just because of that. They told me here in Maryland it is illegal because its false ^#@^E@ something. But never gave me a ticket or anything for it, manily just checking to make sure my tags were legit to the car.
matt

I see a lot of Talon owners with 2G front bumpers, but barely any with modded rears. Whys that? Do the tail lights not fit up correctly?

Need to know asap as I'm wondering if I should save some $$$ get grab a Talon. :)

the rear bumper cant be changed and keep the talon tail lights, but you can swap the tails out and change the bumper that way. thats why you don't see talons with eclipse bumpers.....beacuse they have the taillights too, and look like clipses. You could mold it if you really wanted and probably be one of the first if not the first to do so......

personally, i love my talon the way it is because everyone around here in eclipses.......yeah....id rather not be associated with them. plus, people who don't know what the car is, when they see it go damn fast, they think its some crazy car......ignorant people.

Originally posted by Leitnin
the rear bumper cant be changed and keep the talon tail lights, but you can swap the tails out and change the bumper that way. thats why you don't see talons with eclipse bumpers.....beacuse they have the taillights too, and look like clipses. You could mold it if you really wanted and probably be one of the first if not the first to do so......

personally, i love my talon the way it is because everyone around here in eclipses.......yeah....id rather not be associated with them. plus, people who don't know what the car is, when they see it go damn fast, they think its some crazy car......ignorant people.

Thanks for the quick reply! Yeah I also did a quick search and this link helped me out quite a bit: http://www.2gnt.com/www/files/eclipserearconversion.htm

Hmm this is actually interesting. I'd like a show car, so if I get a Talon, my doors are wide open. I mean I could even do a more crazy conversion, like a S2K rear tail convert. I think I've seen a 2G DSM do this before, think it looked not too bad either. Hmm interesting... :D

Originally posted by Defiant
It's a piece of plastic trim. Why change it?

Not sure what you're saying exactly. But I plan to put a body kit on anyway... I'm only getting a Talon cause their cheaper and I don't need the bumpers anyways as I'll be replacing them.

PS: I meant grab a Talon, guess thats what happens when your been on the computer for 4 hours straight and it's past 1AM :cry:

I did the talon -> conversion w/ a blitz body kit.

Here's a photo of my two cars (the talon is sold now):

Attachments

• untitled-6.jpg
    untitled-6.jpg
    54.1 KB · Views: 188
I read on the DSMTalk front page that it's pretty easy to take your Talon front bumper and swap it for a newer Eclipse bumper. Thinking more in-depth about this, would it be possible to take the entire stock Talon body (Front & rear bumpers, side skirts) and replace it with the 97-99 Eclipse body parts?

Another reason for me to consider the swap is because as of now, I need to replace the headlights and fog lights on my Talon, because of cracks in the lenses. I also want to rid the car of the '16V dohc turbo' badging on the side skirts, and all of the badging on the rear bumper, and the 'Talon' in the center of the taillights. So I asked myself if I'm going to get rid of all this, why not make my car look better, too?

I've already done some homework with costs, but I'm in disbelief as to how expensive the headlights are for the newer Eclipse. Does $222.95 PER headlight and $140.95 per fog light sound reasonable, if I were to do this swap?

I found the prices here.

That's the end of this lengthy question.

Thanks, all.

Daem0n

I hate to say this but a search would have been best, and yes it is possible to swap , and If I am correct , I beleive there is a whole tech article on dsmtalk on how to do this . Also I believe you can get a better deal then 280$ for those foglights ...

Yes the 97-99 Conversion is possible. I'm pretty sure there is a thread located around here somewhere dedicated just to this swap. Try a search.

Whoops. Sorry about not running a search the first time.

I just did, and I found a how-to article on the conversion. Only that the pictures are dead. Could someone please update it?

It's here.

Message the creator of the thread if anything. He may have the pictures stored somewhere else now. But in all honesty the swap is quite simple. Your pulling off a couple bumpers and headlights and taillights. Once this is done your putting something back on.

Read the article on dsmtalk if it has pictures with it.
As far as the headlights and taillights go you can find the taillights used from someone parting out any 2g. eclipse. The headlights you can get used for about 150-275 shipped for the pair of headlamps off here or off trader. Just look around.

Goodluck.

I see.

WOW, dont be fooled by the link above becuase it is no whrer near that easy. Thats just a basic , but the directions for tghe rear swap are terrible. If you have a eagle talon the eclipse tail lights will bolt right up. But the bumper........ you are in for some serious fabrication . I was about to post the same original question as this thread was started upon, and if anyone was to flame it , they obviosly didnt read the article
and obviosly never did the conversion. This question is bound to come up over and over again. Becuase the article needs to be a bit more thorough.
NE way what isnt in the is the custome brackets you need to make/or modify stock so that the eclipse bumper doesnt hang 3 inches below the tail lights. So if anyone has info on this oplease respond. Maybe its easier to order the mounting brackets from dealer and have them welded/ or you can easily drill some holes and bolt them on. ?
Is that even possible to get 97-99 rear bumper mounting brackets from dealer.

This is what someone said about the how-to article in my last post. Is it true that heavy fabrication is needed to allign the rear bumper? Will I need custom brackets for this install?

no... very little fabrication. Just one little 1" "L" bracket about 1 foot long... or so. You will see once you have the old one off. Its easy if you have a mig at home.

im thinking of just getting a 95-96 eclipse front bumper, and i was wondering if it would bolt up just right? anything else that i need to do?

yeah my talon is a 96, just making sure it would be a good fit

do i need to change foglights, or will these fit?

I am thinking of buying a 96 talon with rear damage, it needs a new bumper and tail lights, ive been looking around and it seems like there are more aftermarket choices for eclipses, if i decide to switch to an eclipse bumper and tail lights will all the mounting holes be the same, if not what would i have to do.
thanks,
james

contact the member on here: 2bar4g63t. He did the eclipse rearend swap on his talon.

All you have to do is change a couple of the brackets when doing the rear conversion.. and I think there's a way where you can just turn the brackets upside-down and rig it that way. Do a search for the details, this has been discussed many many times :thumb:

Yea, I did that...you need to make 2 L brackets, and you need to splice new reverse lights to the ones in the talon harness, and extend them 2 ft or so. I've done the conversion before, so if you have any questions, feel free to PM me.

I'm lookin to get the cheapest DSM chassis atm so If i end up getting a Talon i'd like to make it look like an Eclipse. From what i've heard you just need Eclipse rear fenders, Eclipse tail lights, Eclipse rear bumper, and the Eclipse tail lights mount. Is that correct?

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back