The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support ExtremePSI
Please Support ExtremePSI

Convertible top NO!!!!!!!!!!

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

GeKo

15+ Year Contributor
Nov 15, 2007
Altamont, Illinois
####!
So heres the deal, it was nice outside so i wanted to put the top down.
I indeed did put it down. My rear shocks are completely BLOWN, so their are sticking WAY up. When i drive down the road its like my car is trying to bounce away... :(
Anyway,

I got to the carwash after driving home on the same road i do everyday. Its bumpy :|
I put my top up, washed my car and after i spent 10mins washing it.. i noticed their was a HOLE where the driverside rear shock sits... So now i have this cut almost as big as my index finger... through my top completely... It indeed leaked. And now i dont know what to do!

Its a BRAND new 1500$ Black Top....

HELP PLEASE... dont tell me i have to buy a new one LOL...

I can take pictures of the cut, or my rear shocks just to show you how bad they are... I can even take a video of how bouncy my car is... I just need help...

Suspension/Cut..

I DO NOT know if these are ebay coil overs, i did no put them on, they were on when i got the car, the plan was to get ground control spring/strut combo for about 350 to 400$ but it looks like im going to have to get the top fixed first...

Attachments

• ATT00001.jpg
    ATT00001.jpg
    55.9 KB · Views: 286
  • ATT00004.jpg
    ATT00004.jpg
    60.6 KB · Views: 298
  • ATT00003.jpg
    ATT00003.jpg
    51.4 KB · Views: 290
  • ATT00002.jpg
    ATT00002.jpg
    85.5 KB · Views: 293
You've got something seriously wrong there; that shock rod shouldn't be extended above the shock tower. It looks as though whoever put those on didn't use all of the correct hardware or somehow put things together in the wrong order (don't know how that's possible, but nothing's foolproof!) so that the shocks are not working at all. You are only riding down the road on the springs with no damping whatsoever the way that shock rod is sticking up because it has to be attached to the car (not waving around in the air) for it to dampen the suspension action.

Looks to me like stock shocks and lowered springs. The shocks are too long for the springs? I don't really know as I have never had mine apart but most shocks would have a nut or flat spot that the top nut tightens against. Maybe it sheared off. That should be fixed to the car right now its not dampening. You say both siddes are the same?

correct, i have all 4 of them but the only ones that are doing that are the two rears

More good news!!!!! my rear fiberglass bumper is about to fall completely off, god i love the luck i have :|

So, i fixed my rear bumper, it was hilarious how it was put on... :| buying new suspension soon, then getting a new top after that so this DOESNT happen again. Show i do a how to on suspension when im doing it??

Suspension/Cut..

I DO NOT know if these are ebay coil overs, i did no put them on, they were on when i got the car, the plan was to get ground control spring/strut combo for about 350 to 400$ but it looks like im going to have to get the top fixed first...

It looks like the Rod is stripped. I have seen people put on springs and it isnt low as they want it so they unscrew the Rod some. however they somtimes unscrew it to the point theres only 4-5 threads holding it and they can be stripped out or break. they probably tore right through the rubber too. Looks like you need a new set of shocks and a seemstress fo ryour top LOL. the top can be mended, its the shocks you are having a problem with.

Codename: Upgrade, Xbox 360 Talon

Ya those are ebay lowering springs. My friend put those on his car and the same thing happend on the front. lukily the one poked up through right where the hump in the hood is. It still left a little bump. We just took them out and put washers on the underside of the bushings to keep the strut from lainching back through the hood.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back