The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support Rix Racing
Please Support Morrison Fabrication

Convertible 1990 Talon TSi AWD

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Never posted pictures with the top up because I had no reason to put it up. This is what it looks like.

Attachments

• 20200829_205759.jpg
    20200829_205759.jpg
    949 KB · Views: 76
  • 20200829_205812.jpg
    20200829_205812.jpg
    962.4 KB · Views: 70
  • 20200829_205819.jpg
    20200829_205819.jpg
    925.6 KB · Views: 67
While going through the parts box to get the sun visors out and remount them. I found these. The complete engineering design specs for the car for the functional convertible to be installed. Looks they they redid it in 2000 to do a better more stable design. When I bought the car I was told all documents was included I never thought that meant the engineering diagrams as well. So I guess with these you could build another. Also had the hickups on what angle the top caught and needed to be reworked ect.

Attachments

• 20200908_195005.jpg
    20200908_195005.jpg
    526.4 KB · Views: 56
  • 20200908_195033.jpg
    20200908_195033.jpg
    345.6 KB · Views: 52
  • 20200908_195013.jpg
    20200908_195013.jpg
    403.5 KB · Views: 54
  • 20200908_195011.jpg
    20200908_195011.jpg
    390.1 KB · Views: 51
Had my first car show last weekend with it. I fixed almost every paint defect to perfection. Got a lot of looks and questions from other tuner owner's.
Judges not so well. I was in an import class. Winner was a Mercedes lowrider very nice car. There was 5 low rider classes and he even said I have shown this car for years never been put in an import class before. 2 judges walked right by it one said hay this is the concept the 2nd judge went looks to plain and stock never looked at it did not even get within 15 feet of the car. The 1st judge came by talked to me about the car after judging. Said I needed to take it to a more serious show. Said on the local area they want it to be flashy and obviously I will not make modifications to the car to change it from its design.

Attachments

• 20200919_121337.jpg
    20200919_121337.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 57
  • 20200919_141123.jpg
    20200919_141123.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 57

What an ugly work on the top of the windshield frame.. and around the vinyl roof.
But the rarity factor is unquestionable!! Keep all original parts. buy another set of rims for the new tires, the old wheels keep in a dark place.. :)
Good to see, if somebody save, and keep, and show that rare ride!

But a question: what about the body stiffness without roof? got extra parts the underbody for the body hardening, or that guys just cut the roof??

What an ugly work on the top of the windshield frame.. and around the vinyl roof.
But the rarity factor is unquestionable!! Keep all original parts. buy another set of rims for the new tires, the old wheels keep in a dark place.. :)
Good to see, if somebody save, and keep, and show that rare ride!

But a question: what about the body stiffness without roof? got extra parts the underbody for the body hardening, or that guys just cut the roof??

The black tape above the roof mount is a eye sore for sure. They untucked it to add the electric motor so the top screwed in but did not retuck the material mainly because the black boarder on top of the window was not waterproof. Which I am fixing that for sure. The entire frame was extended and the was braces added in the back above the suspension towers to reenforce the body.

. The entire frame was extended and the was braces added in the back above the suspension towers to reenforce the body.

And what about between the A, and the B pillars? there needs all convertible bodys a reinforcement really.. the seller guys did not says about something?
Just watch the video the 3000GT Spyder build in the ASC factory.. look what kind of reinforcement they built inside the sills between the A-B pillars.

Won a new Trophy for it. Most Unique. Judges said well you can't get more unique than a 1 of 1 concept release car. While I was given the diagrams for the car. The builder was packing up the office going though all the cars they built over the years and found the build binder for the car which included all pictures of the car though out the build both in 89 and the rebuild in 2000 to make it properly functional. A few people i guess that seen the car on the forums here came out to see it and was shocked because unlike people it seems to think there is no cut marks on the car the plastic was remolded not cut its a clean car. The only defects in the design is when they added the electric motor to lock in the top in 2000 without re-tucking the header material after.
I had a tile from my storage shop fall on the passenger side headlight lid and a few rock chips. All that will be fixed this winter.
You must be logged in to view this image or video.

Figure it is time to update on the car. It is currently having a new convertible cover made for it. We looked at the color and stance of the car and decided to make it in Black to better blend into the back instead of the original tan which did not look as well. I found 4 new rims still in the box to put new tires on it once The new cover is finished. This way I keep the original tires and rims separate for show.

Also the black tape that was on it we took off. The top was tucked but it was put there to protect the fabric when the top gets sucked in with the electric motor it would cut or wear the fabric out. The upholstery guy get said we need to put a seal on the top itself or leave it alone. So we agreed to put a seal on the top itself and make it look cleaner. Have to remember while it was a convertible originally it was not actually functional more of a rolling roadster chassis.

Last edited by a moderator:
Nothing has made me more upset than today.. Today was tire replacement day. Not only are the tires not made anymore eagle gt +4 and mine only had 6k miles on them. I did not realize how hard they was till I put on the new ones and compared.but on the outside perfect. The tread had major chunks gone from hardness. And it appears the inside of the tire shows signs of belt separation. So I should not even use these as show tires because putting the weight back onto the tires are dangerous... But I guess they lasted 32 years. And did not let go while driving so there is that.

Attachments

• 20210204_154332.jpg
    20210204_154332.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 30
  • 20210204_154340.jpg
    20210204_154340.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 31
  • 20210204_154524.jpg
    20210204_154524.jpg
    852 KB · Views: 35
Well got some more info on the car. Build book arrived with everything. The original non functional design cost is lost forever officially but to make it from the non functional roadster to the functional convertible it is today was drum rollll.... 164 000 dollars in design and hardware costs. That's right 164k. And apparently there was a limited number of g1 dsm factory fresh in Detriot in 2001 that was suppose to have a 5 bow convertible top installed. Where those cars are now I cannot say. But they was apparently waiting to be made in 2001. As some kind of relaunch limited run with improved 4g63 turbo motors.

Roll forward to 2020 I kept in touch with Robert over the years but never pushed the issue on the Talon. On July 30th 2020 I asked him would he ever sale it. And his response was what are you going to do with it.I said i want to show it and drive it around once in a while. He then gave me a few stipulations on if he sold it to me. And I agreed and we settled on a fair price for it as I was no longer in michigan but texas again which is where I was from I only lived in Michigan for 2 years. And that was a factor. I picked up the car. He drove me around in it all over Wayne Mi. We did the deal exchanged the paper work. Then he went well your turn to drive and off we went. He of course told me I drove like a grandma. We returned and he had to step away for a minute and I was informed that I was only the 2nd person to drive it. Robert did not even let his brother drive it. And told me no matter what happens to take the car. Robert returned with all the parts took out of the car to build it and a few copies of the custom parts in case I needed them later. We took a few photos of my buddy and them with the car along with the skyranger and then Robert asked to buy the car back. I think his brother knew this was coming as I had all ready been warned. I said I drove 1600 miles for it I want to take it back to Texas. He then asked me to drive her to my friends house instead of trailering it and his brother told me no please trailer it no point in risking the car. We tried to start it and it would not start. Robert said well she does not want to leave and we tested a few things. Then push started it and drove it on the trailer. It turned out to be the clutch safety switch and she fires up just fine after unplugging it.

See I knew the car was real and it was the 1 of 1 concept I seen the pictures in his shop of it along with a lot of other vehicles that this guy knew his stuff and was not just a regular car guy he was a car builder that was sub contracted for a long time to build these things.

Below are pictures of the car. With the property of Dar label still in the door after 30 years and the skyranger the car also still has the section and slot number it appears on the door from when it was at the Detroit auto show. But that I will not publicly post photos of.
Yes I have to say thank you so much for researching that I'm finding out about that car.

I remember being like 16 when I read this article about the possibility of the talent being a convertible in that body style.

I've thought about what happened to it for many many many years on and off How did you find this and what happened.

What happened to the car Is it still around

Rip I hope I solved the mystery. For you. It is still around. I have been showing it since. For the last 4 months it has been in the process of having a new targa cover built by hand for the back. It required a few modifications but we have worked though them and I will have new photos up soon. There is also the build thread on the car with lots more information and pictures. I have recently gotten the full build book and the over 200k dollars they put into it doing a frame up redesign. Including upgraded power plant and trans with new technology. Upgraded from 1990 to the 2000 tech.

Rip I hope I solved the mystery. For you. It is still around. I have been showing it since. For the last 4 months it has been in the process of having a new targa cover built by hand for the back. It required a few modifications but we have worked though them and I will have new photos up soon. There is also the build thread on the car with lots more information and pictures. I have recently gotten the full build book and the over 200k dollars they put into it doing a frame up redesign. Including upgraded power plant and trans with new technology. Upgraded from 1990 to the 2000 tech.
Chrysler spent over $200,000 building it

Really How many miles does it have on it now and do you drive it and what

I have to say that was one of my dream cars to own when I was 16.

My father and I went and drove a brand new talent tsi which he told me was stupid to buy

Honestly I wished he bought it I'd probably still have it.

Well that's awesome. Thank you.

send me some more pictures I'd love to keep up with the story

[email protected]

Chrysler spent over $200,000 building it

Really How many miles does it have on it now and do you drive it and what

I have to say that was one of my dream cars to own when I was 16.

My father and I went and drove a brand new talent tsi which he told me was stupid to buy

Honestly I wished he bought it I'd probably still have it.

Well that's awesome. Thank you.

send me some more pictures I'd love to keep up with the story

[email protected]
And one more added note.

I also really loved at that time the Mitsubishi Galant

I'm actually looking at a 1990 Mitsubishi Galant GS with $25,000 miles on it they're wanting $6,000.

I'm thinking it's worth about 3

I would really love to have the Galant VR4 which is the Mammoth everyone is looking for

It has 7.7k now. Yes I drive it at night and away from public areas. Normally for a show I will drive it in close the night before then cover it and show up the day for the show. Chrysler spent 80k originally in 1988. And Collins and Aikman got it in 2000 when they bought Dura and redesigned the same car to make it functional. There was suppose to be a limited run made of the exact copies and powerplant.

That's crazy.

Of course at this time Chrysler had no idea about the JDM craze that was just about to hit them.
Mitsubishi head at an idea but also was surprised I imagine

Yeah I really love Mitsubishi and it's sad that that company is going to evaporate because they did not use any visualization to what customers need and not about financial stipulations.

They really screwed up around 1997 when they built the ugly version of the eclipse and also with the Galant

So you just use it as a show car
Would you ever sell that car.

Send me some pictures I'd love to see it or video actually

it is about 50 miles from me atm. Im currently building a 91 gst for my daughter once it is done I will have it back here closer. Plus the Targa is being made for it there then I will go get it.

When you referring to targa

Like something similar to the Porsche Targa.

Somehow I assume the top is difficult to work with and probably leaks since it's concept.

Yeah I'm definitely down at some point I'd love to buy it That would be the ultimate eclipse TSI that I never got.

Yeah I accidentally just stumbled upon this website when I was actually looking at the value of this 1990 Mitsubishi Galant

I'm cecil what's your name?

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back