The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support STM Tuned
Please Support STM Tuned

Convertable top motor needs replace

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

AriNepon

Probationary Member
Oct 12, 2002
Illadephia_PA
My car got vandalized in Philly a couple weeks ago. They put a whole in the top. Car comes back from the top shop (sent there by the body shop who was doing the repair work on the fenders cause it was keyed too) and they say the motor doesn't work. I got in and hit the top button, the motor makes a sound, but doesn't move the top.

Long story short, somehow it has taken them 7 days (work days, not including weekends) and they haven't finished the top yet. They said they are having another shop do the motor. Does this make sense? Doesn't 7 days seem excessive?

Has anyone else had their motor replaced and if so, how long did it take?

Thanks,

Ari

I had the roof replaced on my Spyder about a week after I bought it because it was leaking. I drove the car to the shop at about 9am and it took them until about 3 or 4 that afternoon to finish. So in other words it took less than one day to do mine and they did a damn good job. The only reason I can see that it would take 7 business days is if they had to order the top and they spent 6 of those 7 days waiting for it to ship to them.
Looking in the repair manual it doesn't look like it would be very hard to replace the motor. If I were you I would use the manual switch in the trunk to close the roof if it is stuck open right now, drive the car home, buy the part and install it myself.

Originally posted by madmax
How much did you guys pay to get your tops replaced?

Did you have Mitsu do it?

I had a place that specializes in auto trim and convertible tops do it. It was kind of worked into the price of my car when I bought it because they had already bought a new top to put on. I paid $700 for parts and installation for a good quality top with rear defrost and all. Looking around online I've seen tops for about $350 and I would expect labor to run a good $400 to $500 or so. Getting it done with the OEM top at a Mitsubishi dealership is supposed to be close to $2,000 from what I've heard.

Yea, SATAN wants over a grand just for the top.

I've priced the top from 500-750 online, and the quote I've gotten from installers were anywhere from 500-700. That's quite a bit of dough. But my current top is starting to get ragged out, and is due for a new one. DAMMIT.

Where have you seen a top for $350?

Sorry to hijack.

Originally posted by madmax
Yea, SATAN wants over a grand just for the top.

I've priced the top from 500-750 online, and the quote I've gotten from installers were anywhere from 500-700. That's quite a bit of dough. But my current top is starting to get ragged out, and is due for a new one. DAMMIT.

Where have you seen a top for $350?

Sorry to hijack.

Some people just don't know how to shop online :rolleyes: Just j/k. I did a search and the first place i came up with was http://shop.1usa.com/aabest/merchant.ihtml?pid=229&lastcatid=105&step=4 $220 for vinyl $338 for cloth, with a 5 year warranty.

Mine was done at a Mitsu Dealer. Top replacement, including parts and labor was like $1500. They replaced the outside layer, rear window. Then, they replaced the motors when both somehow stopped working after it got dropped off. Both motors and those frames that run on either side that always F***ing bend on every 2G spyder was another $1900.

Both rear fenders and trunk lid were repaired from key marks and sprayed.

Total bill was like $4600. Luckily, insurance paid for all except rental. If rental had been covered, the 25 days it took them to do the above work wouldn't have been quite so bad.

Like the subject says, don't go to a Mitsu dealer. The above work should have been like $1500 worth of parts and like 4 days at a good mechanic/body shop.

NEVER TAKE YOURE CAR TO THE MITSU DEALER. THey suck. Especially the one in Glendale, Ca. They actually had my car for five months doing an engine swap. anyhow its a really long story with the worst service in history. but thats what theyre known for and i learned the hard way.

My car got broken into at the dealer and the top was ripped they only changed the fabric and not the metal bars. they stapled the bars to the fabric to make them hold. now the stapples came loose and i have to change it. I :barf: on glendale mistu.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back