The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support ExtremePSI
Please Support ExtremePSI

General Convert any car to ethanol with a Super AFC?

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ist dwa

10+ Year Contributor
Nov 5, 2009
Centerville, Ohio
Been thinking about something. Could you convert any vehicle (this is non DSM related) to ETHANOL just buy installing a wideband and an Apexi Super AFC to compensate for the fuel type changes?

Or could you just install a bigger set of injectors and then run ethanol all the time to compensate?

I think both methods could work. Any thoughts out there?

What about just a AFPR bumping fuel pressure?

Last edited:
The timing advance is where ethanol fuels become beneficial. You're not really seeing any benefit using ethanol with stock timing curves other than as a knock cushion. Injector dead times are going to be off with stock settings and bigger injectors.

He might just be doin it since gas is way too much, good luck with it

He might just be doin it since gas is way too much, good luck with it
You use roughly 30% more fuel with ethanol than regular unleaded. It's not any cheaper

I am not racing in this theory, timing curves, power, WOT, none of that matters. I am simply trying to figure out how to convert a non stand alone car to ethanol.

Gas prices has nothing to do with it. When the world collapses and you can't get gas AT ALL I will still be able to drive an ethanol powered car because I can GROW my own renewable fuel until car batteries become obsolete. I have 2 ethanol cars now, I would like to convert all of my other cars though.

A carb car would be the best bet I don't own one and really don't want to buy one.

A bigger set of injectors would be an easy way to do it, yeah the dead time may be off a tad but it probably would be an even trade.

A SAFC IMO would be the best, no extra pump demands, no dead time or global issues, and you just add the necessary fuel to get the A/F where you need them and I can transfer the AFC from vehicle to vehicle as well. AFC are up big in price, they are 300$ which is what they cost new back in 2000....geez.

I might get one and practice on my 4G eclipse.

Back in the day I did it. E85, 55psi bfp slightly hacked 1g maf, and 450's. Car ran 107 like that and lean is mean for sure. No wideband either. You don't need to add 33% worth of fuel as the stock maps are very rich at wot. it only needs like 15% more fuel. The trims will take care of the rest. I had a wideband for a while and had the simulated narrowband switchpoint set to 16:1. I thought it ran well back then 13years ago, but i was young and dumb so it might have been terrible. For a while more recently I had my galant setup to run perfect on about E50. There is enough wiggle room in the tune at that point it worked from about E20 to E70 without touching the tune. At the extremes it was a little lean for my liking and a little knock happy at the other end. This was a 14b at 15psi so ymmv.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back