The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support JNZ Tuning
Please Support STM Tuned

2G Convert a 1999 Eclipse Spyder GS from Auto to Manual?

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Domixx267

Probationary Member
Sep 10, 2020
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
Hey guy I'm having a big problem...need help bad..I have a 1999 eclipse spyder gs with a 4g64 automatic..ok now I want to make it 5 speed...this the thing I had a 1996 eclipse rs that was manual..so I decided to take the 4g64 out and swap with a 420A..all the fabrication is done the engine is all bolt it down ready to ride...but one big problem...I got bo power to the starter..everything else working but no fuel no cranks...I use the 420a main harness with ecu..are the gs and rs car harness are different or something plz help me

Hey guy I'm having a big problem...need help bad..I have a 1999 eclipse spyder gs with a 4g64 automatic..ok now I want to make it 5 speed...this the thing I had a 1996 eclipse rs that was manual..so I decided to take the 4g64 out and swap with a 420A..all the fabrication is done the engine is all bolt it down ready to ride...but one big problem...I got bo power to the starter..everything else working but no fuel no cranks...I use the 420a main harness with ecu..are the gs and rs car harness are different or something plz help me
To answer your last question, the wiring harnesses from the GS and RS were identical. Unless you are referring to the Spyder harness, which is meant to power the 4g64 and other accesories.

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm pretty sure you cannot put a 420a in a gs spyder
Well you can but you have to cut out the mounts and weld other ones in. You also have to get the proper axles and ecu and qring etc etc... can be done but not recommended. Which is why he is having troubles.

Well you can but you have to cut out the mounts and weld other ones in. You also have to get the proper axles and ecu and qring etc etc... can be done but not recommended. Which is why he is having troubles.
This build still seems sus..if he wanted to concert it to manual he should hace kept the 4g64(still better then 420a) and put a manual trans..then clutch master cables and shifter and pretty much done. Less work, less money, and better results j/s

if he wanted to concert it to manual he should hace kept the 4g64(still better then 420a)
That's highly debatable. Do some reading on it. It's low end vs high end and the reliability factor... also have to consider the aftermarket parts base and tunability of each... but enough of that. I definitely see what you're saying. But why would the guy lie about doing such a swap and then ask legitimate questions about it?

O.P if you could any any more info or pics and ask us anymore questions

Ok I will show ya pic...i know the 4g better then a 420..but like I said I had and auto spyder with bad motor and bought a rs eclipse good motor and 5speed trans just bang up bad in the rear..but anyway not knowing that they where different orientation but I still swap it but like i said everything works but is look like i need to bypass the neutral safety system

I'm not trying to play myth busters here, just I don't really see the point to go from 4g to 420a, then do the work to Evo swap it, just to get pretty much a gsx. That's just my .02 if you do it cool just document the build in your dsm profile to share your experience with others.

well now I'm interested, how did you do the swap? Did you fad the engine mounts or the engine bay mount brackets? Did the under support bar bolt right in for the transmission mount?
I took the subframe out the rs bolt rigth up in the spyder then on the passenger side motor mount I drilled it out and weld it in the passenger side on the spyder now all I has to do is make sure that the engine is level then I weld the transmission Brackets on driver side on the spyder ez if u hot the whole car the rs was no saving it was total from the rear end that why I swap the whole thing into my spyder shell

I took the subframe out the rs bolt rigth up in the spyder then on the passenger side motor mount I drilled it out and weld it in the passenger side on the spyder now all I has to do is make sure that the engine is level then I weld the transmission Brackets on driver side on the spyder ez if u hot the whole car the rs was no saving it was total from the rear end that why I swap the whole thing into my spyder shell
But my issue is that I'm using the wiring harness that is already in the spyder...not the engine harness the car harness..so idk if they are different..I'm using the 420a engine harness with the ecu...everything connected but when I try to start the car I get no fuel pump and not power to the starter but if I jump the starter engine spins but no gass..

I'm confused so did you also do this to the mount that goes on top of the trans, what about the rear mount?

That's highly debatable. Do some reading on it. It's low end vs high end and the reliability factor... also have to consider the aftermarket parts base and tunability of each... but enough of that. I definitely see what you're saying. But why would the guy lie about doing such a swap and then ask legitimate questions about it?

O.P if you could any any more info or pics and ask us anymore questions

Attachments

• 16002998094492508073018461600582.jpg
    16002998094492508073018461600582.jpg
    811.7 KB · Views: 37
  • 16002998900947595266934998435161.jpg
    16002998900947595266934998435161.jpg
    995.1 KB · Views: 34
Very interesting. Well I'm not sure about your problem because I have never seen this swap done before. Idk make sure all connections are made and if it still doesn't work try the 420a body harness
Everything connected imma have to get the 420 body harness if not imma just megasquirt it

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back