The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support Rix Racing
Please Support STM Tuned

1G CONSTANT RATTLE WONT GO AWAY

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

YungTlon

5+ Year Contributor
Mar 6, 2018
Pueblo, Colorado
So I have this very strange noise that refuses to go away. It has been doing this since I rebuilt the motor 300 miles ago. It follows rpm and gets louder from rpm. It sounds like a very very fast rattle. Compression came back
1. 120
2. 120
3. 120
4. 120

It’s so bad it’s causing terrible false knock in ecm link.
replaced the lifters with brand new 3g lifters. Noise is till there.
pulled the plug wires and the noise did not go away. Honestly at a loss so any help would be appreciated. Sounds like it’s coming from the valve cover .
here’s a video .

Last edited:
I watched the video also and my old ears didn't really hear what he was describing. I am sure it is more prominent in person.

I watched the video also and my old ears didn't really hear what he was describing. I am sure it is more prominent in person.
You need to change your ear filter 🤣

Hello everyone sorry for the slow response I got no notifications that people commented. Yes it is extremely loud in person. Loud enough tk make the knock sensor freak out. Going to have to just dig into it and find out myself guys. Sorry the video isn’t the best, the phone has a hard time picking it up!

I don't know what noise he is exactly talking about since I don't hear well in the video neither. But since he is taking the video while driving, I assume it's because he doesn't hear the noise at idle in neutral, if so, which makes me guess the noise is coming from drivetrain components or the "false knock" that he mentioned above may actually be real and he may be hearing pinging sound.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back