The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support Morrison Fabrications
Please Support STM Tuned

Confusing 1g speakers!

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DoriftoTSi

20+ Year Contributor
Aug 14, 2002
Portland, Oregon
So I bought a new deck for my car and I figured that I might as well buy some new speakers while i'm at it. Well I read up on sizes for 1g's, and it doesn't seem that anyone really knows for sure what 1g will come with what size speaker. First I was told that my rear speakers were 6x8's but during the installation they found out it was what i originally thought, 6x9's. So, i also have 6.5' speakers too, but they tell me that i have 5 1\4 in the door. Are they right? Should i trust them on that, they were wrong about the rear...

I know that every different factory stereo came with different speakers, I have the stock cd player and cassette player with equalizer. What the hell size do i have in my doors.

This is what I have installed.

Pioneer 6” x 9” rear.

Door is Pioneer 6”

Dash is Pioneer 3.5”? cannot remember exactly on those.
:laser:

Pull out one of each and take them to the best buy and match em up with ones on the wall .. isnt that easy enough? thats what im gonna do .. then youll have all your panels off and ready to put the new ones on..

Luke

91 eclipse gs

pioneer 4 ways 6x9 in rear(was originaly 6.5 custom fiited to fit 6x9

pioneer 4 ways in door 6.5 (i believe originaly 6 custom fitted them)

pioneer 2 ways in front( i believe it was 4 inch)

for My 93 talon TSI AWD :

In front 6.5 ( I Have alpine type s , No problem with mounting depth here )

in rear : 6x9 mounting depth beware, type r's don't fit so anything higher than stock mounting depth you might have to shim or remove metal speaker bracket ( major rattle to that )

Other stuff I enountered while installing my system :

In trunk- for subs (stupid tire hump , want to beat the shit out of it ) , rear seat bolt makes a good ground

I found it best to pass the 4 gauge wire for your amp thru the fire wall right above where the pedals are

you need a shitload of foaming stuff to fill the trunk plastic triming so they wont rattle

If you need more info pm me and i'll help the best I can

it seems to be differnet from car to car, here is what ive seen since ive owned 4 1gs:
Dash speakers are 4" stock and all 4" will fit sum may require a lil modification
Door speakers are 5.25" stock, some aftermarjet 5.25 will fit in the lil plastic cup thats in there bt not all-best way to go is take out the cup and get 6.5"s, will fit by screwing them into the holes that the cup mounted too
Rear speakers are 1 of 2: 6.5" stock once removed only 7" will fit, or 6x9"- only 6x9" with smaller magnets will fit or the magnet will rest on the wheel well

That is all :thumb:

i have sony explode 6x9 3 ways in the rear the stock speakers come with a kind of "spacer" attatched i had to destroy the the stocker speakers to get the new ones in but as far as front speakers i fit 6 inch explodes in mine with no problems :dsm:

im my 1g i have 4" dash, thats max size, 6.5" in the doors and 6x9 in the rear

Mine came with the 5.25"door cups in the doors, and 6x9 rear panels. I swapped the 7" rear panels into my car so I could use my rearfill components, and I am using modified q-forms in the front.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back