The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support ExtremePSI
Please Support ExtremePSI

Confused on 20G Setup aspects

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ayyyalexxx

Proven Member
Jul 4, 2013
Rialto, California
Hello all,
I purchased an Automatic 1998 GST (Completely stock) about 2 months ago. Body & paint needed a little TLC but I got that all taken care of (glad my dad runs a body shop). Anyhow, now I want some power. I've done countless searching and reading on these forums and other DSM sites and have come up with the bigger turbo setup I'd like to run. I had my mind set on a Genuine Evo III 16G, but it seems like they're so hard to come by nowadays. And if I'm going to be spending money, I really don't want to go cheap on the heart of it all and get an eBay turbo. Extremepsi has new EVoIII 16G's going for like $900+, and I'd honestly rather spend that much on something bigger, hence the 20G.

So now for my confusion: I've been reading around but I can't seem to find a definite answer on whether or not a 20G will bolt up to the stock 2G exhaust manifold. I plan on purchasing the MHI 20G that is being sold on Forced Performance.

Should I buy it with the 8cm or 10cm housing in order to bolt it to my 2g manifold?
Should the wastegate be internal? External, off O2? External, off manifold?
Do I need to buy anything extra to install this turbo? (Since it's downward-facing, I dont need a J-pipe, correct?)
Does anyone have a 20G on their 2g, if so any recommendations?

This will be my daily driver, and my goal is to get 350-400 to the wheels.
I plan on leaving all the engine internals stock for now.

Here are the mods I plan on running (in no particular order):
Injen Short Ram intake
3" SRS Catback Exhaust
Megan Gauges (Boost, Oil Pressure)
Innovate Motorsports 3844 MTX-L Wideband
PTE 880cc injectors
Walbro 255lph
Fuelab 515 FPR
ETS 7" Street FMIC
HKS V4 SSQV BOV + Recirculating kit
Grimmspeed MBC
MHI 20G

Plan to tune with:
EcuFlash + OpenPort 2.0
EvoScan

Feel free to add suggestions/critique my setup.

Thanks.

The 10cm housing is a t3 flanged housing that comes with the 20G from the factory. If you want it to bolt to any DSM manifold, you need to get it with the 8cm FP housing that they are offering with the turbo right now, not the 10cm t3 housing. Also, no J pipe is required, and your O2 housing will bolt right on IF you get the turbo with the 8cm housing.
Also, to get the best deal, this is the one you need:http://store.forcedperformance.net/merchant2/merchant.mvc?Screen=PROD&Store_Code=FP&Product_Code=20GSALE&Category_Code=DSM-Turbo
Oh, also, dont forget to select "affix internal" on the wastegate option tab

Yea kchaazz i was debating on whether to get the package or just the turbo by itself, but I think I'm just gonna go for the whole package :hellyeah:
One last question: once everything is bolted up and ready to go, what psi do you guys recommend I cruise around in? I was thinking of 15-16. OR can I boost it up some and have a little more fun, but still be in the safe zone (with a good tune of course).

Im running a 20g @20 psi on my 97 talon awd auto right now and tuning it myself with dsmlink. My personal best 1/4 mile before I could tune the car in right. I ran 13.03 @ 104mph spinning all 4 off the line. I know for sure ill reach 12's next time at the track now that I got to dial in the tune better :thumb:

Should I buy it with the 8cm or 10cm housing in order to bolt it to my 2g manifold?
Neither- you should use a 7cm housing since you're an automatic. Any larger and you'll be giving up spool to gain top end pull you'll never use.

Should the wastegate be internal? External, off O2? External, off manifold?
Depends what boost level you'd like to run. External gates are far more-costly but control boost much better, especially if the boost is fairly high.

Do I need to buy anything extra to install this turbo? (Since it's downward-facing, I dont need a J-pipe, correct?)
Oil lines, coolant lines, intercooler piping and couplers...that's about it.

I agree ^

If you want a quick spooling street-able turbo, a 20g with a 7cm^2 housing is a great option. If you keep you're boost ~20psi or below, an internal gate and a boost controller should be pretty damn reliable. If you start going above that, you may have inconsistent boost control. For example, At 21 psi on my FPgreen, my internal gate was pretty rock solid, with a small fluctuation at full boost of about 1psi. I'm now shooting for 25 with my green and it just doesn't work well... Boost fluctuates too much for my liking. I see anywhere between 23 and 27 psi.

Also the 20g fp sales had a tdo6 compressor housing on it and will not fit with you exhaust manifold bolted to the head. You will either need an fp race manifold or a spacer for clearance for the compressor housing.

Also the 20g fp sales had a tdo6 compressor housing on it and will not fit with you exhaust manifold bolted to the head. You will either need an fp race manifold or a spacer for clearance for the compressor housing.

This is completely incorrect. A 20G with the TD06 compressor cover will fit just fine with the stock type manifold. You may need to dent the water pipe "very" slightly at most. The FP manifold spaces the turbo exactly the same as a stock manifold, as well.

This is completely incorrect. A 20G with the TD06 compressor cover will fit just fine with the stock type manifold. You may need to dent the water pipe "very" slightly at most. The FP manifold spaces the turbo exactly the same as a stock manifold, as well.

Are you sure about this because the Hahn kits come with a spacer. Not to mention mine sits right on the pipe with maybe a hairs about of space to fit inbetween the housing and the turbo.

Are you sure about this because the Hahn kits come with a spacer. Not to mention mine sits right on the pipe with maybe a hairs about of space to fit inbetween the housing and the turbo.

Hahn used a different housing, you don't need a spacer with the 7cm housing.

It's not a spacer, it's an adapter to make a T3-flanged 10cm housing that was never meant to bolt to our cars fit. Shittily.

It's not a spacer, it's an adapter to make a T3-flanged 10cm housing that was never meant to bolt to our cars fit. Shittily.

I'm not referring to the adapter. If you go to the website on the top left corner of the package it shows a spacer for the exhaust manifold. Any how I apologize if I was incorrect, but I have never seen a 20g bolted to the manifold in a stock position.

You can also look into the Bastard 20g setup with a 7cm housing which would allow you to follow the same steps as installing a 16g. Its just a 16g housing with a 20g wheel in it. I am pretty sure Justin can hook you up with something.

I'm not referring to the adapter. If you go to the website on the top left corner of the package it shows a spacer for the exhaust manifold. Any how I apologize if I was incorrect, but I have never seen a 20g bolted to the manifold in a stock position.

Yes, Hahn uses a spacer from the manifold to head as well due to their 10cm T3 type housing. This has nothing to do with a "bolt-on" style 20g in a 7 or 8cm DSM flanged housing.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back