The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support Fuel Injector Clinic
Please Support Fuel Injector Clinic

Computer geeks check in!!! I need help!!!

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

thisdsm

15+ Year Contributor
Feb 18, 2004
so cal, California
I need help with my computer guys. My computer doesnt boot up after I finished building it. POST doesnt load, it doesnt go into bios, nothing! My monitor is blank. I tripled checked everything and I cant figure out what is wrong with it. The motherboard powers up, fans are blowing, led lights on my case are on, but there's no power going to my harddrives, floppy disk drive, nor cdrom/dvdrom. The lights doesnt flash or anything like that. Turned off the computer, unplugged the IDE2 cable from the mobo, turned computer on, lights start flashing/blinking from my cd/dvdroms. Same thing happens when I unplug the other cables from mobo, but once I plug the cables back into the mobo, nothing happens! I am now confused as hell because this same thing happened to me before on my p4 build.
Here are specs on my pc:
amd 64 3500+ venice core
msi mobo
gigabyte 6600 gt video card
creative labs soundblaster audigy zs
1gig stick corsair

And about the p4 build, it had the same problem, everything was also brand new, installed everything but wouldnt boot up as this one. I thought the mobo was fried and so I went out and got that setup above instead. Everything is installed into the same case/tower and power supply.

Is it plugged in?

To like the wall and shit man?

if you arent getting any beep codes chances are its not enough power to power it up so the motherboard goes into safe mode until it recieves enough amperage... this would really make sense it was the same case with a different but new setup....

go grab a good NAME brand power supply around 450W to keep your AMD happy... im running a 3500 winchester now with a 600W PC Power and cooling although Ive had good luck with Thermaltake power supplies....

you may also want to check the way your motherboard is grounded in your case... if you used those red 'paper' washers to install it, you ned to remove them, those washers are used for AT which has been long gone since the late nineties...

LMK how it turns out...

Is there a four or possibly six pin connector on the board that you didn't have anything to plug into it? If so, you need a newer power supply. There are two power connections on most of the newer motherboards.

Attachments

• MS-7025.jpg
    MS-7025.jpg
    26.8 KB · Views: 156
you may also want to check the way your motherboard is grounded in your case... if you used those red 'paper' washers to install it, you ned to remove them, those washers are used for AT which has been long gone since the late nineties...

Is there a four or possibly six pin connector on the board that you didn't have anything to plug into it? If so, you need a newer power supply. There are two power connections on most of the newer motherboards.

A third possibility is your RAM. I had an issue with a mobo (cheap piece of crap) where jumpers had to be set to enable DDR. Of course, I didn't figure it out since everything was in Chinese or Japanese. In this case, power would go to the devices but no POST or BIOS splash screen.

I agree, sounds like a PS Issue. Go get yourself a good quality 450w+.

PS you shoulda went with the 3000 and saved yourself some $$$, they all overclock about the same anyway.

I just built a computer with a MSI motherboard, an MSI RS480M2-IL. There are actually THREE power plugs that need to be connected to this motherboard. There is the standard ATX power connector, a 4 pin power connector right beside it, and ANOTHER 4 pin power connector over by the CPU socket. Can you tell us what power supply you are using, and if it has the extra 4 pin power connectors? Something else you can try, is to clear your BIOS. Look in the manual that came with the motherboard. Even though you haven't used it yet, it won't hurt to clear the BIOS and start with factory defaults. Usually this involves unplugging the power and temporarily moving a jumper over a pin, then immediately back to where it came from.
Other things that can cause this, are if your CPU fan is not plugged in (some motherboards won't let it boot if it doesn't detect the CPU fan), if the memory is defective, or the CPU is defective, or power supply can't provide enough watts of power. But I would check the power supply first...

I went thru this alot building my own shit.
First check the MB manual on what wires plug into you header for power reset, led etc... you could have one backwards.
Second check to see if ALL of your IDE cables are pushed in to the back of each drive securely and also check to see if you have the notch facing the right way(usually up) If it is backwards nothing will boot. 99% of my boot problems have been IDE cable related and are fixed within 2 second by flipping them around. Hope that helps

oddly enough, are your dives set up correctly master/slave?

Bostedquest said:
oddly enough, are your dives set up correctly master/slave?
Cable select. :thumb: In any case, it will still post.

To the original poster:

Strip the system down to the bare minimum, ps, m/b, cpu, ram and video (or on-board). Remove IDE, FDD and all add on cards. If condition stays the same, meaning the cpu fan Powers up but no post and no beeps. There can only be three possibilities.

1. A defective motherboard.

2. A defective cpu.

3. You did not connect the power supply correctly to the motherboard like mentioned above.

Good luck.

Edit: It's best that you do this outside the case, this would cover the possibility of a short.

oldman said:
Cable select. :thumb: In any case, it will still post.

To the original poster:

Strip the system down to the bare minimum, ps, m/b, cpu, ram and video (or on-board). Remove IDE, FDD and all add on cards. If condition stays the same, meaning the cpu fan Powers up but no post and no beeps. There can only be three possibilities.

1. A defective motherboard.

2. A defective cpu.

3. You did not connect the power supply correctly to the motherboard like mentioned above.

Good luck.

Edit: It's best that you do this outside the case, this would cover the possibility of a short.

I have also dealt with several people that decided to build their own system, that did everything CS, and nothing worked.
If both devices are CS on the same cable, chances are they will not work. However if you at least pin the master and CS the other they will work.

I am getting ready to tear down and redo mine over the weekend.

Bostedquest said:
If both devices are CS on the same cable, chances are they will not work. However if you at least pin the master and CS the other they will work.
That's weird. :confused: The only way for CS to work is if both are are set at CS. If one is set as master then the other must be set as slave.

oldman said:
That's weird. :confused: The only way for CS to work is if both are are set at CS. If one is set as master then the other must be set as slave.
not correct...
I have set many up like that, not to mention several of my own.
Since I have 2 removable drive bays, most of the *swap drives* are set to CS, and they work just fine.
Again, parts age comes into play...

Bostedquest said:
not correct...
I have set many up like that, not to mention several of my own.
Since I have 2 removable drive bays, most of the *swap drives* are set to CS, and they work just fine.
Again, parts age comes into play...
We build about 300 units a month so I'm pretty sure I'm right but I will double check on Monday at work and post after I consult with my technicians. Let's return the thread to the starter, sorry about the off topic.

oldman said:
We build about 300 units a month so I'm pretty sure I'm right but I will double check on Monday at work and post after I consult with my technicians. Let's return the thread to the starter, sorry about the off topic.
agreed.

i don't know about you guys but whenever i tried msi motherboards i had nothing but problems - now i use only soyo and couldn't be happier
i've never had much luck using cable select either - i always set the master and slave - also make sure the ata setting on your hard drive is correct

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back