The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support Morrison Fabrications
Please Support STM Tuned

compression

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

95tale

Proven Member
Jul 26, 2013
hamersville, Ohio
Ok so I have 130 compression on all 4 cylenders on a 93 eclipse turbo engine is that good or bad? if so how bad or good?

Service limit is 121 and standard compression is 164 according to mitsubishi!! So your numbers aren't the greatest closer to being bad than good, but your still over the service limit so that's good LOL!

Last edited:
You are within the service limit, but it is still on the low side.

When you did the compression test did you make sure the engine was at full operating temp, and did you do a wet or dry test? These factors can lead to showing a compression lower than the actual number.

2 things,

1) If the timing belt is a tooth off, it can lower your compression readings

2) If you have aftermarket cams, it can lower your compression if they are not degreed in and you have more over lap than the cam card says.

I dont know all I know is I bought the engine from a junkyard all the way from C.O. and had it shipped and they told me it was 130 on all cylinders the car was wrecked I dont kno if it was warm or if oil was added.

Should be alright.

Honestly, just turn the boost up... LOL

But seriously, as long as they are all pretty much the same number, I wouldn't worry too much about it.

Is the motor gonna run 10's? No. Will it drive down the street at reasonable boost without issues - more than likely.

More than likely they turned it over by hand, while it was cold. so when you get it put back in your car and it starts up and runs let it get to operating temps then re check it, will probably have better compression out come then what they said, unless they did it the proper way.

Ok cool and yea im not gonna run tens just yet LOL maybe 12s. I want to keep it a street car for now the engine is said to only have 80,000 miles on it so pushin a little more boost should't mess anything up. What can I turn the boost to safely on stock fuel system. Right now I just wanna kill civics LOL.

Don't set your standards so low bro, think...V8's!! LOL just kidding. If I am not mistaken the stock feul system MIGHT hold up to about 16 psi max but I assume that is on the stock turbo.

Do you have a 1g or 2g? It makes a diff the 1g has a more aggressive stock timing map than the 2g. Also 2g has a t25 and 1g a 14b the 1g will take more boost alittle better than the 2g. I wouldn't go past 14-15psi to be on the safe side and to stay away from fuel cut! Also turning up a 14b can be a great thing! Turning up a t25 can end bad if not carful LOL it doesn't like to much boost 17-18psi will give a quick death to the little guy LOL!

I have a 93 eclipse gs but doing the turbo swap I have all the parts just need time to do the swap. I have the engine long block with all turbo accessories I have the ecu, fuel pump, boost guage, autometer, fmic, greedy bov, turbo maf, 450cc injectors, I also have a 2g maf but I read its a lot of work to put on. Ha and v8s what v8 LOL

Well just see what it will take bro! If you have a mbc than slowly turn it up and do a few pulls and see how it handles it. Just make sure you go slow maybe 1/4 or 1/2 turn at a time. So wait what turbo are you running than? How's the suspension, motor mounts and tires to help with getting traction? Wheel hop can be a killer for fwd, if you get that under control you can have a beast! ;)

Im just running a 14b turbo. My suspension is stock. My tires are brand new. And have new breaks.

If the long block you have is the NA and you just strap a turbo to it, you will bust ring lands.

Make sure you have the turbo pistons installed.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back