The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support JNZ Tuning
Please Support ExtremePSI

Compound charged talon wins DSE

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Seems some auto guys were having a great deal of bad luck getting the car up on converter by the time the light turned green. If I knew my car was a slow-spooler, especially on a pro tree, I'd contemplate getting boost building as I'm approaching the line from the water box before the first stage light is even close to being lit so when you hit the line you're ready to go. Of course that doesn't account for the starter being a complete douche and holding some guys at the line for 10 seconds after all of the stage lights are on. :rolleyes:

That was my issue. I would stall the car coming up to the line however I was held the one time and things started to go into the red so I just let out of it. Had a good time though! Congrats on your win John. Keep it going.

awesome performance, camera man sucks on the first video.

Car took 5 secs to get up on the limiter. I went first stage and creeped to the 2nd when I got close to the limiter and dropped the brake when the light changed, Its the most fun I have had in a while.

Seems some auto guys were having a great deal of bad luck getting the car up on converter by the time the light turned green. If I knew my car was a slow-spooler, especially on a pro tree, I'd contemplate getting boost building as I'm approaching the line from the water box before the first stage light is even close to being lit so when you hit the line you're ready to go. Of course that doesn't account for the starter being a complete douche and holding some guys at the line for 10 seconds after all of the stage lights are on. :rolleyes:

Depending on your stall and 2 step rpm you have a finite amount of time you can stand on the foot rake before you start overheating the trans fluid. I can get on the stall on my 68hta in 3-5 seconds so I do like the op and presage at idle, then start foot braking when we are both presaged. When I'm sitting on the 3500 rpm 2 step I have about 10-12 seconds before it wants to start burning down the transmission.

When done right, sub 0.050 rt's and 1.5 short times on 17" wheels and no slicks are the norm. Unfortunately a turbo that stalls well doesent mph for crap. The compound setup is interesting, but looks like a ton of work.

Last edited:
The work is worth it is all I can say. The winnings from DSE paid for both turbos and the head flange for the start of the manifold LOL... I think I could scronge out a couple hundred more dollars to buy some stainless and some wastegates.

But you are exactly right. From my logs the longest I was banging on the limiter was for about 5 secs so I have about 10 secs on the brake and WOT.

Congratulations on getting out there and getting it done. :hellyeah:

I'm freaked you're on a stock convertor, it's the compound system making power everywhere which allows you to do so (I'm guessing). I'm also guessing that record will be yours for awhile if not forever.

Ya the car launches at 30psi. On the street with the auto its a little laggy but it feels better than the twin scroll hx40 I had on there last year.
Slip break down of the finals and fastest pass-
60ft-1.524
330-4.109
1/8-6.268
^mph-114.63
1000ft-8.136
ET-9.737
mph-140.31

Thanks a lot Jeff. Seriously wouldn't have been a competitive car without all the insight you gave me about launching the auto and all the little things I picked your brains about.

Holy crap did not put two together and relies that this was compounded when was watching it go down the track. Looked like a smooth ride. Congrats on the win.

The work is worth it is all I can say. The winnings from DSE paid for both turbos and the head flange for the start of the manifold LOL... I think I could scronge out a couple hundred more dollars to buy some stainless and some wastegates.

But you are exactly right. From my logs the longest I was banging on the limiter was for about 5 secs so I have about 10 secs on the brake and WOT.

Congrats on making a complicated setup reliable and consistent enough to go rounds and win. Its nice to see people try different things. Could you post some pictures of the setup? I'm just trying to wrap my head around getting two turbos in the front engine bay of a DSM.

There is a build thread in the build thread section. "Compound turbo holset style."

Couple questions.

What RPM are you at crossing the traps?

Got a log?

Any plans for a dyno?

Race Weight?

I am in the works for my own building and I will be adding a dyno so thats when I would dyno it. Car weighs 3010 with me in it. I shift into OD and I go through the traps around 6500. Here is a log.

Attachments

• log.2012.08.19-07.elg
    84.7 KB · Views: 76
Congrats again man, you were on point all weekend and deserved the win....effin autos, shoulda burned you down at the tree :) jk. See ya next year!

Haha thanks Cory. Hopefully the 9 sec field gets bigger next year and I am sure you will be apart of it.

Badass, after seeing paul do the setup and learning more about compounds it seems like the way to go on small displacement motors.

Also seems like another plus for the auto car. (needing help to stall and still have upper RPM power)

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back