The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support STM Tuned
Please Support ExtremePSI

Complete review on the t3/to4e 50 trim

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

I've noticed alot of people asking about t3/t4's lately, so I wanted to give a write up on my impressions of the t3/to4e 50 trim with a stage 3 wheel and a .63ar exhause housing.

1st off, everyone knows you need a manifold for t3/t4's, unless it's a hybrid direct bolt on, the turbo we are talking about here is a full garret turbo t3/t4 50trim/stage 3/.63ar exhause housing.

~Turbonetics manifold~
Great manifold but not designed for 1g,(they desinged this manifold for the 2g) for people that have 92-94 1gs you will have problems with the wastegate hitting the hood as the waste gate mounts on #1 runner, we found this out real fast as it put a dent in my hood after the 1st time getting on the gas. You will allso have to shave alittle bit off the driver side of the manifold, just like you would on putting a 2g manifold on a 1g.

Over all the manifold is a great peice and flows great and looks very sharp!!

~INSTALL~
Install is a breeze, I honestly think a t3/t4 is eaiser to bolt up then a mitsu turbo LOL, water pipe clearance, no problem there, the manifold hangs the turbo right below the water pipe, so no denting here.
You will need a custom made 02 housing for a t3/t4, my advice, get one allready made for your car for a t3/t4 setup, I had one made and thought I had all the mesurements right on, but I did not. The down pipe was a pain in the ass to line up with the housing.
You will need to upgrade your fans to slim fans as you can not use the stock fans with this turbo and manifold, no bigge, the slim fans look better IMHO.
Lower innercooler pipeing will be alittle tuff, but not as hard as you think, you just have to get the compressor housing to point the right direction, other wise it will point straight at the lower motor mount and you will not beable to hook you pipe up to the turbo.
Once you do get a t3/t4, I highly recommend to take the compressor housing off and put a small bead of silicone on the back plate as there is no gasket seal there, if you don't you will have a boost leak right there at the compressor housing, not good.
Oil drain you have to modify your stock drain tube, I just hacked mine in half and used a high temp silicone hose and hooked it up.
There has been a huge debate on the 4 bolt exhause housing and the 5 bolt housing, to be honest, I could not tell the difference in performance as I have had both.
Intake has to be a 3" pipe to your maf, or to your filter for you VPC owners. Oil feed line is easy to do, my advice would be go from the oil filter housing, mine on the other hand, I could not get the plugs on the housing to break looose, I broke like 4 sockets trying to break it loose, best thing to do is take a torch and heat that baby up before breaking it loose.
I did not use that spot, so I just taped into the stock oil feed on the head with my stainless braided oil line. You have an option to have water cooled and oil cooled, or just oil cooled, I went with the oil cooled only, much easier to hook the turbo up..

~performance and overall impressions~
Well, what can I say?? WOW!! there's no words for it, just WOW. I will never look back at anything else but this setup.
Spool up time on a t3/t4 50trim/stage3/.63ar exhause housing is just right under 3800rpm (full boost 3rd gear)
Is this turbo streetable?? YES!! and some no's, yes cause it's spool up ability and no cause of slugish part throttle freeway cruzing, part throttle it does not really want to build boost as a 14b, or a 16g would, but as soon as you punch the gas, you better hang on!! LOL

Top end performance? Never stops pulling, I bounce off the rev limiter all the time in 1st gear and 2nd gear, nearly impossable to keep it off the rev limiter off the line. This turbo will hold boost solid to redline and then some, does not matter what boost level, it will hold rock solid.
Boost creep?? NOPE!!! none at all, even with the down pipe disconnected at the o2 housing there is no creep what so ever.
Boost spike?? NOPE!!! none!!!

~1/4 mile times with this turbo~
My best run with this turbo is a 11.95 @121.57mph on my FWD with slicks at 26lbs of boost, and this car is still not fully tuned. (800c egt's top of 3rd and 4th gear on that pass)
15lbs of boost I ran a best of 12.4 @113mph. Now I know your looking at the 2 times I stated and your probally wonder WTF??? I know, but I am FWD, the more boost I ran, the more tire spin I had, that 11 second pass it was spining the M&H slicks through 1st 2nd and 3rd gear, never really fully hooked up till 4th gear LOL.
15lbs of boost I only had tire spin in 1st gear, rest of the gears she hooked up. So thats why there's not much of a difference in the ET time between the 2 different boost levels. I have only ran the car at the tracks 3 different days, and each time I go, the car gets faster from tuning, but it also gets more traction problems LOL. i have ran as much as 19lbs of boost on pump gas with 10 counts of knock and 24-26 degrees of timing. I have not ran the car much, as I do not daily drive it much at all. Mostly I have only ran it with race fuel.

I expect 125-127mph trap speeds with this turbo in the near future as I still have alot more tuning to do. Plus those runs I stated above are done at 3000ft of elavation. sea level it would have gone 11.50's@125-
126mph.

~pump gas and race gas impressions~
Pump gas, 91 octane here I can run as much as 19lbs of boost with only 10 counts of knock and 24-26 degrees of timing, I have not yet ran at the tracks with pump gas but will soon and post the pump gas results here.
Race fuel 110 octane leaded, thing pulls like a raped ape nuf said LOL.

~final impressions~
Best turbo I have ever had, once you get the manifold and everthing else to bolt this bad boy up, the t3/t4 turbo's are a great price, they range from $600-$800 The turbo I have I purchaced through Nate @ dsmotorosport, it is a turbonetics turbo, they come standard polished with a anodized blue back plate and is backed with a no hassle 1 year warranty, so if you toast this turbo within the 1st year you purchased it turbonetics will replace it for free. No hassle!!!
This 50 trim turbo is very capable of going high 10's, garanteed to go 11's on a proper setup.
I am running stock intake manifold, stock ECU, S-AFC, 2g maf, head is bone stock except the web cams, street grind. Rest of my mods are in my profile)

This turbo will rape just about any car you pull up next to at the stop lights. Guys with AWD's will love how you can hit full boost as soon as you launch the car, I know I hit full boost as soon as I come out of the hole at the tracks.

Hope this helps some people understand the t3/t4 setups, but I think by far the t3/to4e 50 trim/stage3/.63 is one of the best streeable turbos out there, and can easily go 11's, I have done it with my FWD, so AWD guys would not have a problem hitting 11's with this turbo.

ENJOY!!
-Jake

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back