The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support Morrison Fabrications
Please Support Rix Racing

Complete Holset Destruction

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sad to see you go, but goodluck!

Post pics of the most recent carnage

Turbp should be off tomorrow so it'll be interesting to see.

You must be logged in to view this image or video.

Odd..

Did the turbo spin fine when you assembled it?

Same damage as the first wheel. Something is rolling the blades. Pieces of it are coming off and bouncing around in the major diameter of the wheel. . . Looks like that anyway. Or something is protruding enough so that when the turbine wheel heats up it contacts and breaks the weakest blade off which then sends shards through the major diameter and into the rest of the wheel. If the bearings went out then you would have "cleaner" damage. The direction of rotation causes the blades to bend evenly. Regardless, a TURBINE wheel breaking apart is not something common even for an ebay turbo. In your case a blade is breaking off ant the major diameter and pieces are jambing into the rest of the assembly tearign everything up. This is a high speed collision. It's apparently not a center housing/oiling issue from what I can see.

I know you're going to another setup so you may not care, but did you get a chance to look in the turbine housing? IS the highlighted part below completely flush with the contour of it's surroundings?

Attachments

• bad BEP housing.jpg
    bad BEP housing.jpg
    48 KB · Views: 173
Hi,

If you still have the failed turbine wheel I would like to see the following two pictures.

1.) The back of the turbine wheel

2.) The picture with you holding it in your hand the blades are bent over on the "top" of the exducer. I would like to see how the blades look on the "bottom" of inducer. This will show us if the wheel was rotating at a "cocked" angle in the turbine housing. The turbine wheel blades in question are probably already destroyed but it would be intersting to see.

The following diagram might help to describe what I'm talking about in #2.

x-----
------
------
-----x

The top x repsents the bent over blades on the exducer, and I am looking to see if you have the bottom x as well.

The same goes for compressor wheels when they are rotating at a "cocked" angle in the comp. housing.

Bill

I'm going to bring this post back from the FAR dead for any holset guys curious.

The final factor which cost me these two turbos was the oil return FITTING. it was -12 but the actual inside of it was VERY small. I'm certain there was not nearly enough oil exiting as fast as it needed.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back