The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support ExtremePSI
Please Support ExtremePSI

Compare 99 gst and 09 gst

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

PrimerPLus

10+ Year Contributor
Jul 28, 2011
Tokyo, Asia
Hi I am thinking about getting an Eclipse soon. I have always been interested in the 99 gst / gsx but while I was looking around I also realized that I like the look of the 09 eclipse.

I am interested in what you guys have to say about the 2.

I realize the 99 will be cheaper than the 09.

I am interested in performance, customization, dependability.

Thanks for taking time to reply.

Forget the new Eclipse - Mitsu has gotten way off track from the roots of this model. Their most recent attempt to make the Eclipse a cheap BMW 3-series alternative has failed miserably. It's heavy, is poorly thought out, and isn't a good platform for performance at all. You'll find far better options out there if you want performance. I'd consider a newer Lancer Ralliart, a used 350Z or G35, an E36 or E46 M3, an older Audi A4 or S4, a used Evo or WRX, or if you have more to spend, a Hyundai Genesis Coupe.

If you're going to buy a 99 Eclipse you'll be buying it for performance. Not because it's a luxurious/modern platform. It's got great performance potential but you'll likely have to put some money and effort into maintenance and rebuilding some of the power train and interior - these are old cars now and most have been beaten to shit. So you might save some money with the initial transaction, but figure on spending a little more to get it freshened up.

+1 on the 4g gs being a turd the gf owns one LOL. I will say the body style isnt to horrendous the interior is decent but as they did with the 3g they targeted the average every day females all the way up to the cityfied females along with all the ricers that just care about body kits and rims. Although Just for collecting purposes I wouldnt mind owning one of the 2012 SE eclipses since it will be the last of the eclipse platform.

A lot of replies :)

Anyone got a link to a good site where I could look at other cars.

I am trying to find something maybe a little bit more modern.

I am interested in the Nissan 350z but would like something with more than just a passenger seat.

I still am looking into the 99 eclipse but I am not sure if I am interested in having to spend all the time trying to fix it up.

But I am just looking around atm.

If you aren wrenching you aren't riding. Go find yourself an unmolested Honda. You'll be happy.

I still am looking into the 99 eclipse but I am not sure if I am interested in having to spend all the time trying to fix it up.

If you want performance and customization, you BETTER be willing to spend the time to fix it up. Even a brand spanking new car will take time if you really do anything more than wheels and an air filter. If you aren't interested at this time, I suggest finding something dependable and possibly cheap (used car) until you are, or else you'll be looking for a second car very shortly, and might find yourself parting out that performance car and taking a huge hit.

if you get a 09 get the gt i have beaten 350z's and g35's bolt on for bolt on the gt is a faster car then both. havent raced a ra lancer i have beaten a stock evo too! maybe his driver mod sucked LOL. but you will have more fun in the 99.

A lot of replies :)

Anyone got a link to a good site where I could look at other cars.

I am trying to find something maybe a little bit more modern.

I am interested in the Nissan 350z but would like something with more than just a passenger seat.

But I am just looking around atm.

I am surprised no one has said this yet, but. If you want a stock well rounded car (looks and preformence). Look for an lancer evo, modern look, dependable, well defined preformance upgrades, and plenty of room (four doors). IMO if i had to get a newer car than my 91 gst, i would look for a 2007-2009 lancer evo.

good luck with your car shopping:thumb:

A thought I had the other night on the EVO's being that after 2012 production is going to be stopped on them so i wonder if the prices will shoot up. I to was thinking of getting an evo and now im thinking about it more before production stops.

I do not personally like the body look of the Evo.

I really do like the body style of the 99 eclipse but I guess I just want to know what is possible with the interior. Anyone got some links to some modded interiors of the eclipse? I would be willing to overhaul the interior of the eclipse to make it look fresh and sleek. I was looking at the Infiniti g35 and that look pretty nice.

If you're the kind of person who likes to please random men in the rest room then go with the newer one.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back