The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support Morrison Fabrications
Please Support STM Tuned

Common problems 94 3000GT VR4

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

KTB1021

Probationary Member
Oct 10, 2012
Pensacola, Florida
Hi I was wondering if anyone knew anything about 94 3000GT VR-4s i know this is a DSM forum and i tried going to 3SI and Mitsubishi forums but i cant post in either of those because my account is not verified or something I dont really know. Anyway what i was really wondering is does anyone know of any common problems with those cars i found one i liked but its cheaper then most but the guy says it runs just fine and it has quite a bit of aftermarket parts.

so i was mainly wondering if any of you would buy it or if anyone knows of any major/common problems with those cars.

The one im looking at is a 94 VR-4 AWD Twin Turbo 6-speed

He said the car runs and drives he said that the upgrade he did are.
new upgraded turbos
rebuilt lower engine

AEM boost controller set to 8psi or 14psi
AEM Y band air fuel ratio
OEm crank pulley harmonic balancer
OEM oil cooler
OEM timing belt
HKS turbo timer
3sx custom motor mounts
HKS blow off valve
cold air intake with K&N filter
Brand new battery
Brand new alternator
new spark plug and wires
HP around 370
Stock 18inch white rims

then he said the bad are that
theres a dent in the rear fender
rip in driver seat
and a exhaust leak on the downpipe that you can only hear when under the hood and cant smell or hear it at any other time

Hes asking 3700 so im just wondering do you guys think thats a good price and would you guys buy it

Ive been looking for a 94 or newer 3000gt VR4 for a few months now because i want the 6 speed so if you guys could just give me your opinion and help that would be great.

3700 seems cheap, VR4s are expensive to work on and a pain in the ass too, valve stem seals are a common problem, the ECUs can be troublesome too, also i talked to a guy whos owned 18 3000gt's he said that they are ticking time bombs. LOL I think he refering to the main bearing going out or something. Anyways that's my experience as an owner

ok thanks and ya i read something about the lower bearing going out and this one has a rebuilt lower engine so i didnt know if that would change the out come of that or not

ok thanks and ya i read something about the lower bearing going out and this one has a rebuilt lower engine so i didnt know if that would change the out come of that or not

Depends on how well they did the rebuild and the parts used where they oem?who did the rebuild were they a reliable source? how well do they know mitsubishis is another questiong you have to ask? make sure theirs no upwards bends/dents in the lower oil pan, there bad ass cars no doubt, but aftermarkets parts are crazy expensive, and finding stock parts are a pain in the ass not exactly as simple as walking into oreillys and saying I need this.

Also if the car has past 120k your going to want to do the timing belt,water pump ect, aski him if has had any service done

Last edited:
i think he did timing but thanks and ya i know there sweet cars if they run right but ive gotten screwed on cars in the past and im trying to do a little more research this time and im trying to find a 3000gt that everything runs with it and nothing major but i was trying to find out more about them too and i wanted a 94 or newer because of the 6 speed because it seems better but idk if they even make a big difference on the car or not ive never driven one but it seems better and i just want something faster than my 91 GSX thanks for the information though

Ask for receipts proving that the short blocks been done! If it was done by a shop look up reviews on that shop see what their reputation is. If he did it himself.....its a big gamble on his skill and attention to detail which would make me walk for sure. Well mind you I belive there going for around thd 10k mark right? So even if the engine blows you coulx basically break even.

Ask for receipts proving that the short blocks been done! If it was done by a shop look up reviews on that shop see what their reputation is. If he did it himself.....its a big gamble on his skill and attention to detail which would make me walk for sure. Well mind you I belive there going for around thd 10k mark right? So even if the engine blows you coulx basically break even.

ok thanks and ive seen them more around the 6k to 10k mark more around me

ok thanks and ive seen them more around the 6k to 10k mark more around me

SHit ill sell you mine for 2500 LOL it needs help tho has bad vss, anyways theres a reason its only 3700. some advice though just like with DSM's take your time dont be in a hurry to buy a VR-4 youll be sorry if you get one thats been ragged on all the time, everything in them engine wise takes 10x longer to work on then DSM's your better off to upgrade your Current car then to spend the 4k on the VR-4 thats my opinion though, the 3000gt vr4 comes with 300 horses in the 1st gen model and 320 HP in the second gen but there also around 4000 punds vs a dsm that weighs 3300 lbs, 280 AWHP in your eclipse should be enough to smash on a VR-4.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back