The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support Morrison Fabrications
Please Support Fuel Injector Clinic

Comments on ACT 2600s

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Boosted DSM 32

10+ Year Contributor
Aug 21, 2011
McDonald, Ohio
Ive had numerous people tell me that they have had trouble shifting at high rpms with there 2600s? Is there any truth to that or was something just messed up on there setup? I plan for 450whp by the end of the summer nothing more than that and plan on running an hx35 so the rpms will need to be atleast at 7k to get full potential out of the turbo..

Is there anyone else that shifts there cars above 7k with there 2600s and dont have any issues? and how do you like your 2600s? I would like to get one with a nice lightweight flywheel but people have been steering me away from them LOL

And if they are good clutches which 2600 should i get? sprung or unsprung? 4 puck? Thanks for your help

I have a stock 6 bolt flywheel, and ACT2600 with a sprung full face organic disk. Shits perfect at 7500 RPM's with no drag at all.

My last talon had a 2600 with the same disk, an 11lb aluminum flywheel and it also shifted perfect at 7500 RPM's.

Make sure your flywheel step height is proper, your slave is good, your master is good and adjusted properly, and you should be ok.

I can concur with RadDSM. I'd used the Act 2600 on two cars with a sprung street disc and both shifted fine at 7500rpm for many years.

Cool maybe the people i talked to just had bad expierence where something else went wrong or something who knows.

Because the act 2600s seem huge on tuners and lots of guys run them making 400+whp with no problems..

I think i may give the clutch a shot then since i really dont want to spend 1100 dollars on a twin disc.. and ive heard those twins dont last very long also

Agreed. I have had 3 ACT 2600s on my cars 2 with light flywheels and I really liked the light flywheel. A little picky on the launch but it seemed to shift better. I had no problems at 7500.

Sweet! I have the oem flywheel no so the launches should be a bit easier, tho i do want to get a lighter flywheel possibly lighten the stock one?

I think it would be pretty difficult to lighten the stock flywheel and keep it balanced. A stock flywheel will definitely be fine. Just have to make sure the surface and step height are in spec! Ive heard of people having trouble getting locked out of gears but they were shifting over 8k.

I think it would be pretty difficult to lighten the stock flywheel and keep it balanced. A stock flywheel will definitely be fine. Just have to make sure the surface and step height are in spec! Ive heard of people having trouble getting locked out of gears but they were shifting over 8k.

Never really heard much about keeping the step height correct on the flywheel how do you do so? since its oem with over 100k on it im sure it might be a little out of balance.

I think RRE still sells lightened stock flywheels.

I'd choose an ACT flywheel over the rest though.

The flywheel and pp have nothing to do with how your trans shifts unless its dragging. its the rotational weight of the disc that makes it difficult for the syncros in the trans to shift up hi.

At least that's my take on it.

The act streetlite is barely distinguishable from stock as far as engagement feel (caused only by lightened flywheel) for me.

The additional pedal force for the 2600 is where I want to attribute most of the learning curve for engagement, which I noticed substantial improvement in a few hours of driving, and completely adjusted to (parallel parking as usual etc...) within a week.

BTW my setup is the SBC kevlar full face sprung disc, act 2600 pp, streetilte flywheel. I shift at stock levels, 7000rpm, just swell.

My 2600 shifted fine at 8000 rpm, but that was mostly due to the Shep trans. (First time on the track I blew my stock trans.) Street disk and stock flywheel. The thing I didn't like about the setup was the stiff pedal pressure and very short engagement zone. Went with a twin disk for my new setup.

The flywheel and pp have nothing to do with how your trans shifts unless its dragging. its the rotational weight of the disc that makes it difficult for the syncros in the trans to shift up hi.

At least that's my take on it.

This is incorrect. The mass has nothing to do with your shifting abilities. We have had single disc clutches shift as high as 9500rpm on stock transmissions. This was a fresh rebuild we did here ourselves. We run pedal stops for any of the cars we hot rod be it single disc or twin disc. Fresh hydraulics are important. With a pedal stop it is very easy to adjust your clutch correctly. Those few things are key and will take you just about as far as you would want.

And please do not use a lightened or modified stock flywheel. Just search on the forums or youtube for flywheels exploding. While the likelyhood is small, almost all accounts have come from lightened stock flywheels in dsms. It is a very easy way to total your car.

Any reputable clutch and flywheel repair or exchage shop should eaily be able to set your step height correctly. The height needed is all over the internet. I know the answer, but you need to do more research instead of post everything that pops into your head every day. The paths have been layed out for you for nearly twenty years now. All the answers are out there. Especially here on dsmtuners with so many members and the forum being as old as it is.

A lot of your general questions can be answered VFAQ Site - Visual Frequently Answered Questions That website has very specific answers to factory component questions.

Any reputable clutch and flywheel repair or exchage shop should eaily be able to set your step height correctly. The height needed is all over the internet. I know the answer, but you need to do more research instead of post everything that pops into your head every day. The paths have been layed out for you for nearly twenty years now. All the answers are out there. Especially here on dsmtuners with so many members and the forum being as old as it is.

Blindly setting it to the .608" that ACT want's is no better than not even checking it. That .608" assumes a brand ACT pressure plate, and brand new ACT disc. Some disc's are thicker than an ACT, pressure plates vary, ect...That all needs to be taken into account. You also need to assemble the clutch and flywheel outside of the car and check release clearance.

I run used to run a XTD2300 and a 6 puck. I shift at 9k with my backup trans that has all single fiber lined synchro's and junk sliders. It still shifts good enough to kick the wipers on and bark the tires going into second and third.

Making well over 450 daily and running an older ACT 2600 PP with a duralast disk from the ACT one explodiong.. I'm on a stock flywheel since the AWD swap and i shft regularly in the 8200RPM range from the 1-2 shift

when i ran the lightened flywheel it was really no difference, the biggest improvement of all was god hydraulics and making sure the pedal was fixed (had been crcacked andflexing for lord knows how long) Now it's smooth as silk (or as close as you get with a 1\2600 in a DSM)

I'm running an Act 2600 PP with a south bend TZ/FE with no problems but I'm pretty gentle on my car. Some light spirited driving but no launches or track time. It's turned into more of a hobby to have it on jack stands doing something to it than to actually drive it. I've about burned myself out on that hobby though.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back