The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support RTM Racing
Please Support ExtremePSI

Cold start ok, hot start no, high idle,

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Pwrtrip75

10+ Year Contributor
Dec 13, 2011
Janesville, Wisconsin
I got this 95 TSi and have never touched a DSM before and dont really know anything about them. I bought the car with a bad water pump and the head gasket poured oil out the front. It ran though... idled high, but ran.

I replaced the head gasket, went through the head, replaced the water pump and timing belt and all components.

Car starts up fine cold, idles to about 1500-2000, I took it for a short drive Idle at stop sign was now normal. It had a little sputter in the upper rpms (plugs maybe, i left the old ones in for now), Check engine light came on, drove back just fine. I shut it off in my driveway and it wouldnt restart. It would fire, sputter at 400rpms for a couple seconds then die. Would not stay running. Left it and went in for the night,.

This morning I wanted to see what it would do. It fired right up, ran smooth, and idled a little high.

Im at work now and havnt looked at this.. But it seems temperature related, and what previously happened by the old owner, water pump shaft snapped, over heated, stretched the head bolts/compressed gasket, cooled and thats how the gasket leaked, the head bolts I loosened with one hand.

Would the temp sensor possibly be damaged in overheating? ive never had it happen to me (never overheated anything like that)... has anyone else?

I dont know the codes, I have HP Tuners for my LSx cars and supposedly the scanner on it can do any OBDII cars... ? I will check tonight.

Thanks.

as rod say it might be the iac, i had the same kind of problem but mine was idling too high whe hot

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back