The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support ExtremePSI
Please Support Rix Racing

Cold air intake filter collapsing?

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dillonj

Probationary Member
Aug 27, 2014
Bakersfield, California
So I left for lunch just now and I usually peek at my air filter because it's easily visible from the front of the car, it was fine, round and what not just a little bit of dust because I live in bakersfield. I get back from
Lunch and as I'm walking to where I need to go it looks like the filter is collapsing in on itself like it's trying to suck in air but not letting enough pass so it's collapsing. It's an AEM air intake with a spectre 400 filter, any idea as to what's causing this? I was driving moderately hard too, but I've drove harder before and it was fine. And advice appreciated.

Does it look like something might have hit it? You said it's visible from the front, so it is possible that some small critter or a bird got nailed by your car and fell off when you slowed down, leaving the dent in the filter.

Spectre filters still need to be cleaned like k&n filters. Anytime dust gets caked on the filter, the engine has to work harder. It's like putting your hand over the house vacuum hose.
Either way you should get a different filter if yours imploded. Larger in overall diamater and length.

I'd like to see how it's visible from the front.

If the filter is collapsing then there is a huge pressure drop through the filter EI it is clogged! no matter how old it is pull it off and clean/re oil it.

If it's visible from the front then it's going to get dirty way more quickly than other setups!

I found a scuff mark on the outer metal ring of the filter I'm pretty sure I went over a speed bump too fast and dinged it myself without noticing. I'll get a pic up soon where the filter itself is located thanks again for all the replies

Here is the frontal view of my bumper where the filter is located as you can see it is located pretty close to the ground

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    428.7 KB · Views: 148
Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back