The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support Kiggly Racing
Please Support ExtremePSI

Coil Packs Heating Up And Melting

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bo0sTeD 4G63

15+ Year Contributor
Aug 31, 2008
Miami, Florida
Hello everyone,

I am currently having a big problem with my 98 gs-t. I do not know why but one of my coil packs are heating up to the point that the coil pack is melting. After all the research I have done the only thing I have been able to find is that it could be my power transistor or my ecu? I just ordered a power transistor which I am waiting for in the mail. If anyone has any ideas or if anyone has gone through this please let me know any suggestions would help.

Are you losing spark as well? Could be that the coil is shorted inside and just needs replaced. Power transistor can do it too but I would lean towards coil if your losing spark.

Are you losing spark as well? Could be that the coil is shorted inside and just needs replaced. Power transistor can do it too but I would lean towards coil if your losing spark.

I have melted 2 new coils already so I ruled out the coil. What I find out to be a little strange is that I have spark on the coil that keeps melting.

Then your 2 culprits are going to be high secondary resistance(plugs-wires)-unlikely. More likely would be the power transistor.

Ya when I was attending school we did a engine swap on an neon that the distubiter actually cracked and melted inside out was pretty cool and the car still ran just fine. it had the same problem we went to salvage yard got another one and good to go. I hope this fixes your problem coil packs get expensive to keep replacing.

Ok I will keep this forum updated on my results and thanks for the replies. Hopefully that's the problem but if you have any other suggestions till then I wouldn't mind giving it a shot.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back