The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support Kiggly Racing
Please Support ExtremePSI

1G Coil Pack Questions

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gusu

10+ Year Contributor
Sep 9, 2009
Independence, Oregon
So for years now I have been having off and on problems depending on outside temperature where my car will boost fine but still feels slower than it should. Even at just 90,000 miles and a well maintained car that was never really beat on before or after I have owned it, it just felt a bit sluggish. At first I did boost leak tests, it didn't do anything so I replaced all the gaskets that would effect it. Next I did plugs and wires, followed by checking timing, got a new intercooler and boost leak tested that, and even did a new fuel filter. Nothing has ever solved this problem, it has been a real plague that always feels like it has gone away or isn't as bad as it was.

So yesterday I was driving around, it was awesome the car was pulling hard and the AF/Rs were 10.9-11.3 which is it normally runs. I went to do a pull and it was pulling just as hard as it did and boom backfire and a quick puff of black smoke. So I went and did another pull and watched my wideband and it was at 14.7 at WOT at full boost around 5.8k RPMs.

Another thing I have had to come to accept with my car is unless its almost exactly 45 degrees outside it will always cut out at 5.5k RPMs in third gear, even when I had it running at 10 pounds it would do this. When its around 45 degrees the car will pull hard all the way through third gear even if I choose to let it rev all the way to 7k.

The only other random problem with my car is on warm starts (not hot or cold, just warm) it will have a problem trying to correct the fuel mixture and will stall out unless I keep the RPMs up for about 30 seconds.

So on the drive home yesterday after seeing that puff of black smoke I started to think to myself that the only thing I haven't really replaced on my car is the coil pack and the stock FPR since I still have the stock injectors and fuel pump I never replaced it.

So I pulled my coil pack and saw this.

You must be logged in to view this image or video.

You must be logged in to view this image or video.

So I'm going to assume it's bad since the one looks melted and all but one is 100% corrosion even if the picture does not show it.

But could this have been the cause of all of my problems after all this time? Also, what do you guys think happened to melt it? I'm really curious.

But could this have been the cause of all of my problems after all this time? Also, what do you guys think happened to melt it? I'm really curious.

That could have been the cause of your problems, definitely. One possible cause of the melting, is that the plug wire wasn't seated fully into the coil, creating a small gap. In order to fire your spark plugs, it also had to create a spark across that gap. Over time, sparking across the plastic can cause damage like that.

Wow, thanks so much for all of your advice. I ordered a new coil pack and it should be in later today. I'll make sure to try the hair dryer idea.

check your temp sensors. Sounds like your car is having trouble telling outside airtemp and going into open loop based off you saying unless its 45 degrees outside LOL. Just a guess

Air density changes at different temperature, easily could casue a cut out at high boost

Last edited by a moderator:
The only other random problem with my car is on warm starts (not hot or cold, just warm) it will have a problem trying to correct the fuel mixture and will stall out unless I keep the RPMs up for about 30 seconds.
Check the fuel pressure solenoid (aka control) valve.

Attachments

• fuel pressure solenoid valve testing - 1g.jpg
    fuel pressure solenoid valve testing - 1g.jpg
    114.1 KB · Views: 58
Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back