The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support RTM Racing
Please Support ExtremePSI

2G coil pack question

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

crimsondragon

15+ Year Contributor
Dec 17, 2006
East Brunswick, New_Jersey
I have the JMFab coil pack bracket and I want to tap the bracket itself to mount the coils like the stock bracket. However, the holes are way bigger than the mounting holes on the coil pack. Is it possible to drill out the holes in the coil pack? Or would I be grounding the coil to the engine that way?

Im unsure what your asking? I took off the stock bracket and mounted just the coil on the jmf bracket. I have no issues with that. Im not sure if this is what your asking. I dont see how tapping it will ruin the ground.

The holes in the coil pack itself are way smaller than the holes on the bracket. I want to enlarge the holes but in doing so I'm wondering if it would ground out when I put screws through it and mounted it on the bracket.

I just nut and bolted it. When I did mine I never thought about it. I did the install and have had no problems since. I wish I had a pic of mine to help you. But the threads are in the stock bracket not the coil itself. Thats why I nut and bolt it. If there was a ground issue then I have not had problems.

I'm almost positive there would be current leakage but I would need a test car to see if my theory is correct. This would probably cause misfires in an engine.

Never thaught of that, that explains my occasional misfire. Never thought anything of it. Im now curious on how to properly install the bracket in this case. I guess im having that problem. Im glad I ran into this thread. Hopefully someone more educated will chime in. Although driving a car with a misfire is wrong, I havent had huge bad things happen. It would just misfire then go away. Hopefully other people have pics on how they installed it.

Further testing shows that the primary and secondary coils have no direct continuity to the mount. Now I'm starting to wonder if it really is just used to mount the coil pack. The multiple stacked plates design has me thinking otherwise though.

Further testing shows that the primary and secondary coils have no direct continuity to the mount. Now I'm starting to wonder if it really is just used to mount the coil pack. The multiple stacked plates design has me thinking otherwise though.

Did you ever find out this issue? Curious to see if the bracket causes a problem.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back