The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support Rix Racing
Please Support Morrison Fabrication

coil over question.

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

soulcontroller

20+ Year Contributor
Jun 11, 2002
MI
exactly how do coil overs work? and will they work with my pro kit springs?

pros/cons? and whats the best set?

Originally posted by soulcontroller
exactly how do coil overs work? and will they work with my pro kit springs?

pros/cons? and whats the best set?

In a nutshell, there are two types. TRUE coilovers have the shock body threaded to accept a spring perch. Using a standard spring diameter (2.25" or 2.50"), you pick the correct length of spring in whatever spring rate you want to give you the desire ride/handling characteristics. Slap on an upper perch (that looks a lot like your stock one) to fit the smaller spring diameter and you have a coilover setup.

The other style uses cheaper OEM style shocks and "adapts" them with the use of slip-over threaded perches. Sometimes, you must cut/grind your stock perch off to get these to work, but the end result is you are left with an adjustable spring perch. This allows you to set your ride height to whatever you desire and to pick whatever spring rate you want. Another advantage to coilovers: if you get sick of the ride, $200 will get you 4 new springs from virtually any race shop in the country in whatever length/spring rate you want and you can start over.

The Eibach pro-kit is a bolt in affair, right? I am not real familiar with them, but I am going to say "no", you can't use them with a CO kit. The Eibachs are OEM style and since coilover kits usually use the race standard 2.50" diameter springs, they will not fit.

I hear Ground Control makes a good kit. I use Mike Croutchers from Diamond Star Specialties and have been pleased with them. Mike is slightly more expensive than GC, but he knows more about DSM's than GC. Only ones I have really heard negative things about is the Skunks. But, some have them and like them.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back