The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support ExtremePSI
Please Support Fuel Injector Clinic

Coil-on-plug wiring and install with pics

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This article is intended to be a guide for those of you who want to make your own cop setup. This is a start to finish write-up that covers the materials and tools needed, assembly, wiring, and installation to make your own coil-on-plug setup. Please note, while I used all new parts for my setup which were somewhat costly, this write-up can be followed with used parts and a homemade plate. I just happened to have extra cash in my budget for this project.
Without further delay, here is the write-up.

Tools/ Equipment:
Wire stripper
Wire cutter
Allen wrench set
Wrench/Socket set
Soldering Iron
Electrical Tape
Wire wrap
Rosin core solder
High grade automotive wire
Calipers (optional)

Parts and Prices:
JMFabrications COP plate............................$95.00
300m Coils (4)..........................................$32.50 each...............p/n UF269 from rockauto.com (4 required)
Toyota Connectors (4)...............................$6.85 each.................p/n 90980-11246 from Toyota dealership (4 required)
Toyota leads (8)........................................$6.25 each................p/n 82998-12440 from Toyota dealership (8 required)
Hex head hardware (2 packs).....................$1.15 each
Washers...................................................$.69
Nuts.........................................................$.89

You must be logged in to view this image or video.

Coils

Toyota Connectors with leads inserted

Step 1:
Insert two leads into each of the four toyota connectors. Then install one connector on each of the four coils.

Step 2:
After putting the connectors on the coils, I test fitted them in the plate. The JMFab plate is made very well and the coils fit perfectly. The only change I made was that I elongated the holes the leads went through so they would have a little more clearance. Then I put the coils back in and bolted them down with the hardware I purchased.

Step 3:
Since the leads were all black, I put a red line on the top lead from each connector so that I could keep them straight. Then I turned the plate upside down so that I could start wiring it up.

Step 4:
I used the same wiring procedure as described in the other coil on plug threads.
Here is what I did:
First, I soldered the bottom wire from coil 1 to the top wire of coil 4. I had to solder in an extension because the leads were not long enough.​
Second, I soldered the bottom wire of coil 2 to the top wire of coil 3.​

Step 5:
Next, I soldered the top wires of coil 1 and coil 2 together, and added an extension.​
Then, I soldered extensions to the bottom wires from coil 3 and coil 4.​

Step 6:
Wrap all solder joints with electrical tape.

Alright guys, you've made it this far. There is not much left to do, but pay close attention to the rest of the wiring. It is crucial. I have a 6 bolt motor in my 2g with a 95 ecu and dsmlink. I am using the invert cas option in dsmlink. However, I wrote this as if I was not using the invert cas option since that applies to the majority. I will explain what to do if you use the invert cas option.

Step 7:
Look at the triangle connector from the stock coil pack and make note of the three wires and which coil they go to.

Last edited by a moderator:
Step 8:
Remove the triangle connector from the coil pack

Step 9: Solder the red wire from the connector to the extension of the top wires from coil 1 and 2. Solder the blue wire to extension of the bottom wire from coil 4. Solder the blue/ black stripe wire to the extension of the bottom wire from coil 3.
Note- If you plan on using invert cas, solder the blue wire to the bottom wire of coil 3, and the blue/black stripe wire to the bottom wire of coil 4.

Step 10:
Tape all solder joints, and wrap all the wires to keep things clean.

Step 11:
Trim the boots and springs so that the setup fits flush on the valve cover.
This will vary depending on the thickness of the plate.

Step 12:
Bolt the plate to the valve cover, making sure the boots and springs make good contact with the spark plugs.

Step 13:
Plug the triangle connector into the engine harness triangle connector.

Thats it! You are ready to run.
PM me if you have any questions, comments, problems.
I hope you all enjoy,
Justin

Last edited by a moderator:
Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back