The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support Fuel Injector Clinic
Please Support Morrison Fabrication

Cobra???

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

turboTSi1320

15+ Year Contributor
Aug 31, 2003
Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania
Well guys as most of you know my Talon got totaled back in july. I have been having a hard time finding another good condition stock AWD with a good price tag. Im really not into Amercan cars but a buddy of mine has been trying to get me into them for a while now. He called me the other day telling me he found me a killer deal on a Cobra. It’s a 1997 Cobra with 22k for 9000$ an older gentlemen is trying to sale it I guess. Im really against buying a pre-modified car but the price is amazing and its just some basic mods. The car has an upgraded short block with eagle rods and JE pistons. Mac full length headers, mac cat h-pipe and a mac cat back. Tubular k-member... Cobra r wheels with nitto drags on the rear. I believe the car doesn’t have gears but im not sure. It’s a great platform to throw a supercharger on. Cobras really aren’t my thing and I really wanted another DSM but I cant let myself spend 10 grand on a 2g with 90k miles on it. I was thinking maybe keeping the cobra till I found a good dsm or trading it in on an Evo a little bit down the road. What do you guys think I should do?

Drive the cobra and drive it hard, shouldn't be tough making your descision then. Alot of people will probably say mitsu for life but it's only got 22k on it and Cobras are great cars in my opinion. Get the cobra and keep your eye out for a cheap DSM you can fix up later, trust me there will always be a cheap DSM you can buy to fix.

Definately go with the cobra. Those quad cams make gobs of power with a new throttle body,full length headers and a x-pipe. Drop some 3:73's in there get some good rubber and eat some shit up :thumb:

Yeah but I'm scared im going to miss the handling and traction of AWD. Also that feeling of a spooling turbo.. I have loved DSM's for so long I cant see myself not in one...

turboTSi1320 said:
Also that feeling of a spooling turbo..

Your also love having power at 1200 rpm. ;) Cobras are amazing cars, and can be made really fast, a buddy of mine has a 10 anaversery cobra, hes at 504rwhp, that thing is AMAZING.

However, you live in Pittsburgh, you will want AWD for the snow, where the Cobra wouldnt be a good choice.

Ben :thumb:

My other toy is a sonic blue 03 cobra. Although a whole different ballgame from the n/a cobras, it's a blast. It is a little bit different when you can't grab traction for the first couple gears and the whole deal of having low end torque is pretty new, but you get used to it ;). Right now it has exhaust, x-pipe, 2.76 pulley, idlers, and predator tuner, and I'd say it should definitely be able to walk my car from a roll (might be a different story when the dsm gets back on the road though :D ).

I say go with the cobra.......although i might be a tad bit biased. If the block is really as built as your saying, my first invesment would be a supercharger set up. I think stock gearing is a 3.27, id switch it out for 3.55 or 3.73. Do just those two things and youll have to drive another car to remember what traction under 3rd gear is like.(unless you run on drag radials) :D

However, you live in Pittsburgh, you will want AWD for the snow, where the Cobra wouldnt be a good choice.

I have a DD civic Vx Hb to putt around in. Im not worried about the snow. Well if i have radials ill hook fine right?

turboTSi1320 said:
I have a DD civic Vx Hb to putt around in. Im not worried about the snow. Well if i have radials ill hook fine right?

If you ran Nitto 555 DR's on a daily basis youd hook great on the street, and great at the strip. Dont expect any amazing tread life, but if youre looking for off the line traction with a high HP RWD car youll have to make some sacrifices.

since its a rwd i say get it and learn to drift. drifting is fun if you do it right. im not a fan of american cars and i think mustangs are okay.

it has a built bottom end. save some money. throw on a kenny bell supercharger. you will forget about turbo spool.

I have to agree, get the Cobra and throw on a blower of some sort. Preferably twin screw like the new ones in opposed to the roots style, but boost is boost. OR...why miss the spool of a turbo? You know where i'm going with this. There's a twin turbo kit out for the brand new cobra that puts down 570whp on like 7psi, on turbos capable of putting out 30psi but the bottom end can't take more than about 600. Your's could though, cut it's built :).

67goatpimp said:
There's a twin turbo kit out for the brand new cobra that puts down 570whp on like 7psi, on turbos capable of putting out 30psi but the bottom end can't take more than about 600. Your's could though, cut it's built :).

Which brand new cobras? The 03-04 model? If so, they have a built bottom end as well. Stock they come with a forged crank, manley h-beam forged rods, and forged dish top pistons. The stock bottom end on these cars have already taken up to, and over, 900 RWHP, which puts crank HP well over 1000.

On a side note, turboTSi, do you know what brand the short block is? Or is it still running the stock block?

I've got much love for Mustangs.

My coworker had a 97 cobra with basic boltons, and my buddy has a 96 GT. I drive it every so often and all i know is that : Low end torque > Me.

That is, until 16 psi kicks in :D

But my buddy with the GT is looking into turbo applications.

I cant imagine how badass a big ol 4.6l motor would be spooling up a 60 trim.

if the engine si b uilt as you say it is, Id get the cobra and turbo the sucker, The only thing that pisses me off about domestics is that the quality built of some of those cars is shameful and the damn interior pisses me off, like the 03-04 cobras, car costs 34k new and the interior a/c control knobs and shit look just like pos plain plastic the 16k v6 version, cmon put some effort into it

96-98 cobras are sexy as hell, the only car i think looks as sweet in a decent price range are 2g eclipses. the only reason i would not think about getting it is if there is a bunch of rain/snow where you live. put a supercharger on it and do all you boltons throw in some pump gas and call it a day. and yea if you want any traction use drag radials it will be the best investment you can make. without dragradials youll prob scratch well into 3rd gear. atleat think about it, i dont think youd regret it in anyway!

turboTSi1320 said:

If you've got another car. Hell...go with the Cobra. I would of traded in my 2G for a new '03 Cobra if I didn't have to worry about winter and all the hills around here, LoL. Getting to work would be more interesting though, that's for sure haha.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back