The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support STM Tuned
Please Support Rix Racing

2G Clutch won't disengage

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

1997DSMALEX

Proven Member
May 28, 2022
California
So it’s been a few months now my cars been in the shop and it’s been bled off multiple time.s They’re saying it’s the pressure plate as the fork opens all the way but won’t disengage the clutch from the motor.

Is it possible for my ACT pressure plate and south bend stage 3 clutch not be compatible? It won’t go in gear nor disengage when starting.

Last edited by a moderator:
Do you know what the step height is on your flywheel?

I hope the shop hasn't been trying for months to make this work.

There is some useful background here.

Last edited:
Do you know what the step height is on your flywheel?

I hope the shop hasn't been trying for months to make this work.

There is some useful background here.

Two months to be exact on and off. It’s just my project car, I haven’t pushed them hard enough as I should.

They first said it was the throw out bearing, then the clutch alignment was wrong, the master and slave cylinder, and now the flywheel but yet it has to work.

The only last thing I’ve can come up with is the pressure plate. The flywheel is brand new from ACT as well but the pressure plate is considered “stage 4” and clutch stage 3 from South Bend. I ended up buying the pressure plate off of someone local, new in box with receipt saying it was for the 95-99 GST/GSX, but now has me thinking maybe the pressure plate from ACT isn’t compatible with South Bend clutch.

They’re saying the forks are opening all the way. they even tried a bar to pull it back and it’s maxed out and not enough to engage the clutch

You must be logged in to view this image or video.

You must be logged in to view this image or video.

Last edited by a moderator:
To answer your question, the clutch components should all work together np.

Now for the rest, this topic has been beaten to death if you use the search function. Also a good reason to work on these cars yourself, a shop isn't going to spend hours researching on the forums like a dsm owner does/should.

To answer your question, the clutch components should all work together np.

Now for the rest, this topic has been beaten to death if you use the search function. Also a good reason to work on these cars yourself, a shop isn't going to spend hours researching on the forums like a dsm owner does/should.
Well I mean if it’s a transmission shop you’d hope they would be able to find the problem also I’ve seen most posts but usually it’s just their slave and master cylinders or pivot ball, bent fork, throw out bearing etc… and All of that has been changed not just by me but as well as the shop it’s currently in so now my last thinking is I have a faulty clutch or pp

Not saying it doesn't happen, but I've yet to see someone report that their clutch was not disengaging due to flywheel step. Is it possible? I suppose sure. I've just never seen anyone say that a new flywheel fixed their problem.

If it was a 1g I would say check the pedal assembly. Did the shop shim the pivot ball like a lot of us do when upgrading the clutch?

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back