The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support Kiggly Racing
Please Support Morrison Fabrication

Clutch vs. clutch plate

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Blueiii

Probationary Member
Apr 26, 2006
Toledo, Ohio
Complete newb question, but here goes since I've never worked on a manual transmission.

I'm in the process of having my 91 FWD Tsi motor swapped into an 92 AWD Tsi shell. I bought the 92 transmission with the car, and the shop doing the swap originally told me I needed a "Clutch Plate" at $125.

We were going to use the clutch and pressure plate from the 91, however when I pulled these I was told that I might want to upgrade. I had a ACT 2100 in the 91 FWD, but it was showing signs of being burned up, so I decided to go with the ACT 2600.

So what's the difference between a "clutch plate" that I'm paying $125 for and the clutch kit that I'm paying $310 for?

The clutch kit should be complete.......disk, pressure plate, throw-out/release bearing, and the alignment tool.

I would assume he means the clutch disk when he's talking about the "clutch plate". If you've purchased the kit, you do NOT need anything else from the mechanic, other than an install if you're not doing the job yourself.

It would also be a good time to have the rear crank seal and (2) axle seals replaced with the clutch job, and to check the clutch master and slave cylinders.

Edit:

So does this sound right for parts?

$150 - clutch plate
$25 - t/o bearing
$350 - ACT 2600?

I'm looking at the ACT 2600 in "kit" form and the total price sounds about right, though just pieced together in a strange manner?

ANNNNNNND. . .

Never mind. I found my answers after reading a few other things and combining the information. Thank you for your assistance.

ANNNND I would not recommend using the ACT TOB. They are constructed differently than the Mitsubishi OEM ones and have been shown not to withstand much power. I would use the 2600 clutch and disk, and use a Mits OEM tob. Thats what I have in my car, and its great, smooth engagement. Good luck dude!:thumb:

ANNNND I would not recommend using the ACT TOB. They are constructed differently than the Mitsubishi OEM ones and have been shown not to withstand much power. I would use the 2600 clutch and disk, and use a Mits OEM tob. Thats what I have in my car, and its great, smooth engagement. Good luck dude!:thumb:

Actually ACT has been using the plastic inner sleeve TOB for a couple of years now, same as OEM. My last clutch put on Dec 04 had the newer TOB and has been on without issue. Although I would check it just in case the one you order has been sitting on the shelf for a few years.

The reason you DO NOT want a metal inner sleeve is the fact that it will scuff/scratch/score the input shaft to the tranny. So just stay away from them.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back