The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support ExtremePSI
Please Support STM Tuned

1G clutch problems

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

9092dsm

Probationary Member
Aug 9, 2012
lincoln, Nebraska
I was out driving my 90 tsi last night no problems at all got to a red light went to shift into second gear and it was like the car didn't want to go into any gears so i pulled over at a dead stop i could go through all the gears so i got back on the road and it started to to it again i could get into gears if i rev matched but that only lasted so long trying to get the car home it got to the point were getting into gear wasn't happening so turned car off put in gear tried to start it and the clutch wasn't disengaging with clutch pedal pushed in slave cylinder and everything looks fine just looking on suggestions on what i could be thanks in advance

slave cylinder and everything looks fine just looking on suggestions on what i could be thanks in advance

What does that mean? Looks fine? When you push the pedal in, is the pushrod on the slave moving the clutch fork?

It seems to be intermittent so I would point to air in the lines from either a bad master or bad slave. Check both and make sure they aren't leaking.

after looking into the problem more i did find the master clutch cylinder was leaking under the dash so i installed a new one got everything bleed the clutch and still nothing i didnt notice any leaks from the slave cylinder but i did notice tonight after messing with it a little bit with the car running and pushing the clutch in it almost sounds like a whoosh sound like air from around the slave cylinder also about every so many pushing the clutch in sounds like there is a squealing noise from the tranny is it a strong possibility that the throwout bearing is shot sorry to sound like such a noob at this stuff but that's why im coming to the forums for help

pull the vent on the trans and look inside and actually watch the TOB move on the input shaft. Also, make sure that your master cylinder is properly adjusted

Look here for clutch pedal adjustment http://www.teamrip.com/clutch_pedal_adjustment_info.html

Here for bleeding the clutch http://www.teamrip.com/how_to_properly_bleed_a_hydraulic_clutch_info.html

And here for more links to help you out http://www.teamrip.com/faq.htm

What kind of master cylinder did you get? Autozone special or oem?

Also make sure you're not over extending your throw out bearing. Been there and done that. You would actually hear noise from the transmission area when fully depressed. Hope this helps.

I will pull the vent and check and unfortunately I did get a autozone one it already had a aftermarket one on it and mitsubishi said they had discontinued the part I found a couple sites online I might order one from

I rebleed the clutch and extended the throw rod out as far as I can and still nothing but I pulled the vent and posted a video to youtube
You must be logged in to view this image or video.

I had a similar problem with my 2g gst. I could only put into gear when the car was shut off, ran though gears fine then. Ended up being my clutch disc was crack.

I had a similar problem with my 2g gst. I could only put into gear when the car was shut off, ran though gears fine then. Ended up being my clutch disc was crack.
I'm hoping its not something that serious causing the problems my next step i was going to do was replace slave and look into getting the oem master cylinder

I would replace slave and master cylinder first as that's easier and cheaper. But if that don't fix the problem nor does the clutch pedal adjustment, I would look into getting a new clutch kit.

i dont recall the pedal felling softer when it happened i know now with it being rebleed it is a lot stiffer than it has ever been from the time i purchased the car

Any updates on this? I'm having the same exact issue. All the way down to the noise it's making in your video when pushing in the clutch. Did you replace the master?
sorry haven't been on in awhile actually in the past week i ended up pulling the transmission and finding that a spring it the clutch broke. So it ended up being my clutch that caused it. But coming to also find out that the previous owner decided to jb weld the tob sleeve back on to the bell housing and that it broke off again.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back