The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support Rix Racing
Please Support STM Tuned

1G clutch pressure fluctuations

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

wolf alchemy

Proven Member
Mar 4, 2014
kouts, Indiana
So there are some days where my clutch pressure is fine, then others where is slightly low to where my throwout bearing rattles then goes away after a 5mile drive. Or after I hit 60. But I was wondering if its possible to get a slightly longer rod on the slave cylinder so that the clutch fork moves farther and holds the throwout bearing against the clutch. Its a "pro-kit exody clutch". Or do I have air in the system. If it goes away I'd think there's no air.....but thinking about air now. Of course the problem would dissapear as the car drives because the air would end up heating up as well and expanding. Right?

Well then he doesn't know what he's doing. They are under the shift collar which the shift forks sit onto, inside a groove. Almost every modern manual trans that isn't a dog box, has them. 2g 's have two on first iirc, just saying be careful. In the long run its not worth the couple of hundred saved.

Well then he doesn't know what he's doing. They are under the shift collar which the shift forks sit onto, inside a groove. Almost every modern manual trans that isn't a dog box, has them. 2g 's have two on first iirc, just saying be careful. In the long run its not worth the couple of hundred saved.

Its not his fault. Its a 90 transmission. I honestly didn't think he could find any replacements. I did on jacks, but looks like only 1,2 and 5? Then jacks has a rebuild kit, but I have no idea what's in it.

If all else fails call him, that's what I did and he got back to me. Sometimes talking to people gets you some stuff you wouldn't think of to know to ask. I hadn't heard of the torrington bearing mod, but he told me about it and why I should do it. I had to count the teeth on ring gear on a switchable trans I bought. So while I was already in there I asked if there was anything I should do.I wonder if the fsm has specs on transmissions.

I just wanted to clarify that only 2g's have the relief hole in the master cylinder that can cause 2g pedal pump- up issues. The fluctuations are likely to be air in the lines, but it seems to me you have bigger fish to fry at the moment.
http://www.roadraceengineering.com/clutchandflywheeltech.htm

EDIT: I had a brief correspondence in PM that only seems fair to include, if only for completeness.

I appreciate the reply.
I will gladly admit that I have not handled the guts of a 1g cylinder so I have not seen this for sure first hand. However, RRE, while not infallible, is a higher authority on the subject than most and I gladly defer to them.

I'd imagine the whole story is that it does have such a function, but it is not implemented in the same way that it is on a 2g, avoiding "classic" 2g pump up.

I'd like a chance to compare them someday.

Last edited:
And I think I mis understood your post, I thought he literally couldn't see them inside the trans. You mean he can't order replacements, right? I hope one of our vendors can get them (I'll be doing mine soon)!

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back