The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support JNZ Tuning
Please Support Rix Racing

1G Clutch Or Throw Out Bearing

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BOOSTING_GST

15+ Year Contributor
Sep 13, 2004
CHICAGO, Illinois
I have a question I was under my hood yesterday and I heard like a little rattle by the tranny could this be the clutch or the throw out bearing. If you press the clutch the noise would go away then come back again when you let the clutch go. If it is the clutch then I think I might go with the ACT 2600.

Sounds like the TOB but it could also be the springs in the clutch disk. Only one way to find out, pull it apart.

ITS NOT REALLY THAT LOUD SO HOW LONG IF ANYTHING DO YOU THINK IT WOULD LAST BEFORE IT GOES OUT. :cry:

It could last 5 miles, it could last 500,000 miles, never know.

It's most likely the cushion springs on the clutch disc. I wouldn't worry about it if the car engages/disengages fine and the clutch isn't slipping. Hell, my car did that some of the time and the clutch/TOB were just functioning ok. ;)

Mycar just started doing the same thing today, the only difference is when I take off in first the car studders pretty bad but shifting into second is ok.
Hopefully it's not an expensive fix. :(

ryanman said:
Sounds like the TOB but it could also be the springs in the clutch disk. Only one way to find out, pull it apart.

I agree, you are still going to have to take it apart regardless of what part it is.

Is there a walkthrough or pictures for this? I will pay someone to fix it for me if i have to but I'd rather learn how to do it myself.

Hey, I posted kinda the same topic, and if you ask me it is the throw out bearing, I plan on checking it out tomorrow, tearing the whole thing apart and replacing what I have to. I'll go by the Chilton shop book, its shown as the clutch release bearing, instead of the throw out bearing which people said that instead of clutch release bearing. If you dont have the Chilton book I suggest getting it, although I havent looked at the shop book that shows just 90-94. I find that the Chilton book works good. After I do everything and replace the parts I need too I will most likely post what I did and what I had to replace on here. By the way, when I bought my car it didnt make the noise, and now it makes it constantly, its probably how you drive the car and shift. My tranny might be going out because it is hard to shift and I cant go into first without it grinding going about 25MPH without letting out the clutch.

BOOSTING_GST said:
I have a question I was under my hood yesterday and I heard like a little rattle by the tranny could this be the clutch or the throw out bearing. If you press the clutch the noise would go away then come back again when you let the clutch go. If it is the clutch then I think I might go with the ACT 2600.

Mines been doing that for 30K miles, but I have a 99 FWD GST....Still not sure what it is but it hasn't gotten any worse...Let me know if you ever find out what it is... :confused:

The shop I took my car to says I need a new transmission. :cry:

changing the clutch is one of the easiest things to do on a dsm. I can do it start to finish in about 4 hours using handtools in my driveway. You just gotta start pulling stuff apart and it all makes sense once you get into it.

Don't lose any sleep thinking about it, drive it til it breaks then fix it.

I know this is old, but it relates.

I just have one more question. In addition to making a rumbling/grinding noise while sitting in neutral, my car also makes the noise when I let off the gas and coast while driving and in gear. If i push in the clutch while coasting, the noise goes away, but if I am coasting in gear and not on the clutch the noise is there (loud too. loud enough to hear over the engine and everything else). This noise also seems to get louder if there is an extra load, such as the AC running. I am just wondering if these symptoms are consistant with a bad TOB.

Thanks

Finally someone with a simular situation that I am in I just installed a stage 2 shepherd tranny, fidanza flywheel, ACT 2600 with 4 puck, with the ACT TOB that came with it, made by NOCHI with plastic sleeve.

Now my car makes a small squeeking noise instead of the grinding, but the noise is there when the pedal is fully UP and goes completly away once the pedal is pressed.

I just can not get over that this sqeeking is coming from the TOB, I mean the set up has only 1000 miles on it, tranny shifts awesome, has not ground once since install and I broke everything in gentle.

Does anyone have an idea on my prob, I was thinking the noise might be coming from the TOB on the input shaft assembly, does anyone think that a little shot of lithium grease wil take care of it, I lubed it with axle grease when i installed, I dont know?

96 GST

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back